Discovery

"Blast this connection! How do you have a satellite, but your connection can't reach past the house?!" Wily spat in increasing irritation. Magnetman recoiled in response while holding the plate of food.

"Dr. Wily, are you alright?"

"I'm fine Magnetman." He grumbled, the taste of the cooked breakfast satisfying his hunger and easing his mood slightly.

"Your stress levels say otherwise. I would suggest maybe taking a stroll on the paths through the outer ring of the jungle. That could help you with your stress."

"But I can't rest Magnet, not with Thomas and my project still in the works."

"Project? What are you talking about?"

Wily, having wolfed down his breakfast, laid out the blueprints of a peculiar looking beast-of-a-robot to Magnet. It had details such as several thick metal plates, a jaw always opened, and spiked fists. The size comparison to a regular human was insane, as a full grown man was similar to one of the robot's fingers.

"Gamma. One of Dr. Light's passion projects, and supposedly soon to be his greatest invention. Supposed to help with worldwide crisis or something similar." Wily drew out possible flaws on the blue paper.

"If I may ask, why is it so huge? Seems almost unnecessary from a functionality standpoint, and very difficult to manage." Magnet washed the dishes as the thumps of his brothers were heard from the top floor.

"It's Thomas's choice, and I don't get a say since I'm still on probation. Though I guess working on blueprints is enough for me."

"Well sir, your additions to the blueprints is the reason me and my brothers exist. I feel you should give yourself more credit." Wily swelled with pride and patted Magnet's shoulder chuckling. "But I do still suggest you take a break. If only for five minutes."

"Alright, alright. The silence is going to kill me anyway. Tell Thomas I'll be out for a while."

"Understood, Dr. Wily."

The tired doctor whipped out another cup of coffee, slung a jacket over the shoulders, and left the building. The trail was paved out with chippings of old trees and rocks, clearly pointing out the safe spots throughout the jungle.

The shade from the canopy provided safety from the unforgiving sun, the humid air pounding against the old man's lungs. He gasped as he jogged through the hills and jutting tree trunks. Echoes of birds sang loudly, bugs and mosquitos threatened to swarm Wily at every turn. He wondered how Astil could possibly survive being out here for five minutes.

The second hour rolled by, and Wily felt like collapsing.

"M-My god," he gasped for any cool air, "I thought the path was an easy trek. I oughta complain to Astil when I-wait a second..." The color drained from the doc's face as he stared at the ground. There were no clear wood chippings, but rough mud with his prints leading into the shrubbery. He didn't see no trail. In fact, he saw no semblance of an open area.

"Y-You've got to be kidding me!!" Wily yelled to the forest above. "How am I possibly going to find my way back?! How far did I even go?!?! Thomas, Magnetman, can you hear me? Topman, Snakeman? ANYBODY?" Wily whipped out his phone and called every contact he had. The moment any call was made, glitches appeared through the screen and the phone blacked out.

"Stupid connection. Can't have it when you need it." Wily tried pressing the emergency button, and electricity sparked around the phone and ran up his arm. Shrieking, the phone slapped into the moist mud and the doctor clutched his arm in pain. "What in the world?"

The static disappeared and the phone had a bar appear in the center, flickering depending on where the doctor was pointing. Using the phone as a compass, Wily ran toward any possible open area. The shrubbery was decreasing, and he saw daylight on the other side.

"Ah, finally. I can..." The area around the doctor was covered in strange structures. They were similar to pyramids, and scattered ruins were littered across the lit valley. The center of the ruins was a pyramid almost touching the horizon, a distinct eye symbol etched in the stone.

The doctor felt curious and wandered through the grassy roads, taking in every carving and relic possibly intact. The last place he checked was the temple, the door seemed to be blasted open.

"Fascinating. Simply fascinating. I wonder if I'm the first to see such a place."

Among the endless maze of darkened tunnels, a peculiar humming echoed. Wily's phone short circuited once more, but the doctor caught sight of the temple's heart. A large sphere was suspended from the ground with large wires attached to it. They pulsed as of they were alive. The same eye sketch from the temple was etched onto it.

The wires gripped the doctor's legs and reached for the phone. "Ah, no! Let go of that!"

The phone sparked one more time before crinkling into tiny pieces. A bellow came from the sphere, and the eye marking glowed.

SUCH SIMILIAR TECHNOLOGY. WHO ARE YOU TO INTERRUPT MY SLEEP?

"You can talk? What even are you?" Wily was on guard, the living wires navigating the ground like snakes.

I AM RA MOON. I HAVE SLEPT IN THESE RUINS FOR MANY MILENNIA, UNTIL YOUR SIGNAL ALERTED ME OF YOUR PRESENCE. WHAT DO YOU WANT?

"Such astounding technology from such primitive ruins. And in good condition too. Tell me Ra Moon, what are you and where did you come from?"

DO NOT FLATTER ME HUMAN, THAT WILL NOT WORK. I ASKED A QUESTION, AND YOU HAVE YET TO ANSWER. WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH ME? Ra Moon spoke with authority. Wily, despite wanting to yell at it for the attitude, held back at the last second.

"For your information, I am Dr. Albert Wily. One of, if not the greatest genius in the world! I am just a man wondering how you came to be in these ruins."

I WILL NOT SHARE INFORMATION OF MY ORIGINS TO YOU, BUT I AM FULL OF GREAT POWER.

"Really?" Curiosity clouded Wily's mind as he mindlessly approached the alien-like device. "What kind of power would you have to offer even being so ancient?"

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE ME, HUMAN. THOUGH I AM ANCIENT, I CAN TAP INTO POWER YOU CAN'T IMAGINE. I CAN EMIT POWERFUL SIGNALS THAT FRY ANY DEVICE IN MY PROXIMIATY, AND CAN INCREASE IT AT MY LEISURE.

"So you're the one that has messed with the connection on my device!" Wily concluded. Ra Moon went silent, and the doctor had ideas going through his head.

It seems I have stumbled on the find of the century! A discovery like this could be huge for the world, and I would get the full credit for it! I could become famous, even more famous than Thomas probably! But then again, if I return with no evidence to back me up, everyone won't believe me and I'll look like a fool. I'll need more samples.

"Ra Moon, I have a proposition for you. The world has changed a lot since you've gone dormant, and I would like to research you more. If you allow me to analyze you, I will make sure the world knows your existence! A fair trade between you and me."

YOU ARE TREADING INTO UNWANTED TERRITORY. BUT I'LL ALLOW IT, JUST THIS ONCE. BUT BREAK YOUR OATH IN ANY WAY, THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES.

"I would never!" Wily rolled his eyes by such an accusation. "But I'll have to head back just for more equipment and food. I will return!"

MY EYE WILL MAKE SURE OF THAT.

Wily exited the temple entrance, tracing his steps out of the ruins. Ra Moon watched as he disappeared, the wires attached to its sphere body going through every crack.

IF THE HUMAN IS TELLING THE TRUTH, THEN THE WORLD HAS GROWN FASTER THAN I ANTICIPATED. PERHAPS THEY ARE READY FOR OUR MOVE. MY SERVANT, WAKE UP AND FOLLOW THE MAN TO THE OPEN. REPORT BACK WHAT YOU SEE, AND WE WILL SEE IF THEY ARE READY FOR OUR PLAN.

From the darkest corner of the room, red eyes soullessly stared toward the forest. They looked back toward the alien supercomputer, nodded, and disappeared into the darkness.