A Light's Shadow

The forbidden map. Plantman's tale.

They had to be connected somehow, Rock just wasn't sure how. Irritation was written all over his face while he stared endlessly into the parchment. He could hear someone calling for him, but didn't respond immediately. The moon had already risen past the horizon, the mist of the amazon emerging from its heart of greenery.

A chuckle came from underneath Rock's dangling feet, making him yelp and look down. Snakeman was clinging to the wall like some kind of lizard, his eyes staring into Rock's blue ones with curiosity. "Didn't see me, did you kid?"

"Snakeman, what are you doing? I could've kicked you in the face if I didn't look down." Rock scooted back from the edge.

"At least I got your attention. Everyone else has called for you twice but you gave no answer. And everyone says that I like to give them heart attacks." He hissed smugly.

"Oops, I'll have to apologize to Roll later. Can you-" Snake snatched the map right out of his hands. "HEY!"

"Heh, and what are you doing with Plant's map? Stealing, are we?"

"N-No, I asked to look at it more! And give it back!"

Snake kept it just out of reach every time he reached for it. The tail of his helmet pushed him lightly in the stomach, increasing the distance. "Cool your circuits, I'm not doing anything. I just want to see what you're drawing..."

Rock huffed in defeat when the tail wrapped tightly around the mouth. Clearly Snake had the upper hand in the tussle. The smug smile slowly turned thoughtful, turning to gaze at the trees.

"You really think there's something out there?"

"I...yes."

"And why would you think that? Did that silly bonfire story really spark your imagination that much?"

"I know I sound a little crazy, but I feel like Plant's story might be more than a story. I heard a buzz when we first arrived, but it came from the forest. I felt weird after hearing it, and-"

"I checked your diagnostics, and you had low energy."

"But I was at full power when we arrived. But when I heard that buzz, all that energy is suddenly sapped away in a instant? Snake, there is something in the amazon, and I want to check it out."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It felt so weird to be out in the open, after so long. How long had it even been? Days? Months? Even years?

He felt so tired, but so full of energy.

The plants on the ground felt irritating to his already sore skin, so travelling in the trees was the best option. He could see the edge of the territory, but he felt unprepared for any threats.

The last of the trees receeded and he met the soft grass of a hill, the lights of a small town shining from below. They were living closer to their base than expected. But they looked so...primitive.

Had humanity really not progressed? What a disappointment.

Ra Moon was going to be displeased, and that would be worse than the disappointment itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You would like to run into the middle one of the most remote forests in the world because of a curious feeling? That's quite the objective you've got kid."

Letting the words digging deep into his core, Rock sighed defeated and tapping his head on Snake's shoulder. "I sound crazy, don't I? Everyone else thinks so."