New Power

Among the endless sea of darkness and twinkling stars floated a colony of asteroids. The mountainous rocks travelled at steady speeds past the farthest planets of the solar system. The faint yellow glow of Saturn illuminated them, revealing building structures and towers on some of their surfaces. Not too far and quickly approaching the asteroids were two spaceship hubs directing towards the main rock. Inside the ships were hundreds of small drones, robots, and several pounds of equipment ready to be shipped upon landing.

"HUB H, THIS IS G. APPROACHMENT TOWARDS DESIGNATED ASTEROID OMEGA CLEAR. DO YOU HAVE SIGHT OF THE LANDING PAD?" The captain of the larger hub ship, a simple robot with white plates to resemble a astronaut, announced on the speaker. The smaller hub ship approached the side, where another deadpan robot spoke through.

"HUB G, YES WE HAVE SIGHT ON THE LANDING SITE. LAND ON OUR COMMAND AND WATCH FOR THE OTHER ASTEROIDS." The other captain said.

"UNDERSTOOD." Hub G's captain responded. The asteroids' appearances grew in detail as the hub ships approached. The largest asteroid, Omega, had holes the size of mountains enclosed by domes lit by orbs of light and towers erupting from its crevice bottoms. The second asteroid, Beta, was half the size of Omega but filled with domes and pathways, little drones carrying specimens of plants and robot animals in their claws. Trailing close to Beta was Glimmer, a small asteroid with a shiny surface and no craters along its rocky terrain. It shone in a brilliant pale light as the sun's rays hit its side like a mirror before returning to a dull color in the darkness. The final asteroid was smaller than the rest, glowing in artificial lights from clusters of buildings and skyscrapers along its surface. The singular crater in its center filled with dull lights like the twinkling stars around them.

"HUB G, COMMENCE LANDING NOW." Hub H's captain ordered. As the captain directed Hub G towards the launch pad, the screens of the control board started to flicker. The flickering grew worse as the buttons flashed in bright colors of red and orange, and sparks started to fly out of the panel. The little drones surrounding the captain started to spaz as the hub veered sharply to the right, nearly colliding with the other hub.

"HUB G, WHAT IS HAPPENING?!" Hub H's captain's voice was heavily distorted over the speaker as Hub G's captain was helpless to watch the ship's conditions grow worse. He attempted to reach over the panel, which glowed a bright red that was nonexistent moments before. As his hand reached over, the red glow flashed and rose up his arm like a searing fire swallowing him whole. A silent scream escaped as sparks erupted from every weak spot in his body, melting the joints and destroying the hand that still clung to the panel like a lifeline. The red glow grew in intensity as all robots in the lower levels suffered the same fate as the captain, spazzing and falling, the engines and panels bursting from power influx. In less than a minute, all that remained in Hub G was a sea of blinding red light.

"HUB G, RESPOND IMMEDIATELY! WHAT IS YOUR CONDITION!" The captain of Hub H was interrupted by the sound of static. He looked to his left and dropped his communicator at the sight of the hub exploding. Chunks of the ship flew at blinding speeds past him and disappeared into the darkness, while smaller chunks spiraled into the direction of asteroid Omega. A bright red glow erupted from the crevices and building windows of the asteroid, appearing as if the rock itself was surrounded in endless fire. Beta's surface swirled in pale green and yellow lights like poisonous gases, Alpha's building lights flashed rapidly like a disco ball, and Glimmer shone in white light so bright it could be a second sun. The intense lights grew to be too much for the captain as the panel exploded and the robots around him suffering the same fate.

"HEADQUARTERS, MAYDAY! THE OPERATION HAS BEEN COMPRIMISED, I REPEAT THE OPERATION IS COMPRI-!" Before the captain could finish, the feed cut off and the ship was swallowed in the light.