Change of Plans

Update! The next chapter may also be one that contains violence, so be prepared for that.

Warning: This chapter does contain mentions of feeling lonely. Please message me if you ever need to, loves. 💕

Chapter 30:

"So what's your plan?" Niall asked from the other end of the phone. Wherever he was seemed pretty loud compared to the quiet that was usually in the background, save for when the train passed by or his neighbors began to shout.

"I don't have a fucking clue," I sighed as I sat down on the sofa.

I spent the whole day thinking about what I could possibly expect from this next meeting at the bar, reading through files on the Red Eye gang that Zayn and Liam sent to me, and trying to determine what my best play would be against them. I needed them to trust me, but I couldn't seem too experienced. That would be suspicious as well. I was just lucky that Ramona took an unexpected liking to me the last time.

"Zayn and Liam haven't confirmed anything yet, though, right? On whether this is the gang we're looking for?" It was still so loud in the background. I had to hold the phone a bit away from my ear to avoid blasting out my eardrums.

"No, they haven't. And where the fuck are you? It sounds like a fucking nightclub," I said, already getting a headache from all of the noise coming through on Niall's end.

"I'm on my way to work. It's a noisy city. I'm telling you, Zayn really fucked me over with this one," Niall shouted over the noise. I could faintly hear car horns in the background followed by people shouting. It sounded like a rough place, and Niall's innocent look would spare him any chance of being looked at as a threat there. Maybe Zayn didn't fuck him over after all.

"Speaking of Zayn, have you spoken to him since our last conversation?" I pressed, not knowing why I cared so much. Maybe Harry's influence was really rubbing off on me. It was a terrible feeling.

"No," Niall groaned out. "I don't even know how to start the conversation. I just keep hoping he'll call me and tell me he's over it, um, us? Shit, it feels weird to even think that he wanted there to be an us. Is it fucked up if I wouldn't mind there being an 'us' if it meant I could still sleep with him?"

"Kind of," I admitted. "Even if Zayn's the leader, he's also someone who is dedicated to whatever he sets his mind on. If he decided that he was interested in something with you, then he won't take feelings lightly. It'd be idiotic and completely fucked up to use him just for pleasure. Think he deserves more than that."

"...Since when do you care so much about others?" Niall questioned, sounding genuinely surprised at my insight. It was more than my typical bullshit.

"I don't," I defended, probably sounding a little too forced. "But it involves the gang as a whole. If our leader's head isn't right, then we won't get anything accomplished. That's especially dangerous right now if this gang really lives up to all of the hype surrounding them. Don't be so naïve, Niall."

It was a great recovery on my end. Stellar.

"Shit! You're right."

"Of course I am,"

"How do I tell him that I don't feel the same right now? If he gets all pissed and emotional, then it could cost us everything," Niall whined, being overpowered by a loud car horn blaring in the background. I pinched the bridge of my nose in irritation.

"Can you fucking stop inside of a building or something? All of the noise is rather distracting," I complained, hearing Niall do nothing but laugh at my annoyance. "I don't know, Niall, but you have to tell him. It's better than leading him on. Of course, he may not talk to you for a while afterwards."