Roots

Hello everyone, and welcome to the final official chapter of Guns & Roses. There will be an epilogue as well, so make sure you stay tuned for that. (And the extra chapters if you fancy.)

I am so nervous to post this because I really want to meet expectations, but I am proud of the way this turned out. So... ahhh!

If you have not read the previous chapter titled "Bittersweet Revenge," please do that first!!!!

I will also post a small author's note after this about a final character ask, if you are interested, and the popularity poll that you all participated in.

Warning: This chapter contains mentions of death and a small mention of self-harm.

Thank you all for reading. Major events in this final chapter. I will explain everything at the end! (Please don't hate me!)

Chapter 55:

   I couldn't bring myself to step out of the car. I didn't want to walk up to the pile of rubble and sift through it. I didn't want to be the one to find the body of the man I was in love with, but I also didn't want anyone else to find him instead.

  I wanted to hold him in my arms again, even if he couldn't hold me back.

  "You don't have to do this, Louis," Niall reassured. "We can just head back to the main base and let the rest of the gang handle this. You don't have to see this."

  "Yes, I do," I insisted.

  "No, Louis. You don't. It would just be more unnecessary trauma. Finding the person you love-"

  "I have to be the one to find him, Niall. I can't explain it, but I have to...." I trailed off, looking out of the car window to see the rest of the gang already walking toward the giant pile of rubble to begin searching for the bodies of our tech team.

  It was heavy work. It would take all day, and every single member would be exhausted by the end of it, but it was worth it. Harry, Liam, and everyone who suffered through this, they all deserved a proper burial.

  "Okay," Niall agreed. "I get it. But I'll be right there with you. If you need any support." He offered a smile up, and I tried to do the same, but my heart was too heavy for even the smallest curl of my lip.

  We both climbed out of the car, and I heard Zayn giving orders.

  "Make sure there isn't a single piece of that building left unturned. We lost seven men. We are not leaving until we find every single body," He announced. Then, he turned to Niall and me as we approached him. "Louis, I'm sorry-" He began.

  "You don't have to apologize," I replied, not meeting his eyes. Instead, I watched the rest of the gang begin moving pieces of the building in groups of three or more. "I... I'm sorry I compared you to my father. And I'm sorry I couldn't finish the job."

  "You have nothing to apologize for, either. I understand, Louis. I should have been more sympathetic of your situation. I should have been empathetic because I can understand. If it were Niall," He reached out for the blond's hand, and Niall intertwined their fingers without hesitation, "I'd have gone mad."

  Niall smiled at Zayn as their eyes met. There was an emotion in both of their eyes that I recognized as a deep fondness for one another. It wasn't love on Niall's part, not yet, but they were getting there.

  "I'm glad you two have each other," I offered. It was difficult to congratulate their growing relationship when love was the one thing that destroyed me. I lost the only person I cared for with my entire being.