Art of Self-Defense

Chapter 14:

I rushed into the flower shop, trying not to be late to avoid any questions Harry might have about it. I grabbed an apron from behind the counter and tied it around my waist, hating how it squeezed onto my waist. The shop was quiet, but I heard faint sounds of footsteps in the back room. I knew they must belong to Harry, so I decided to stand patiently at the front desk and await his arrival.

I heard his footsteps drawing nearer, and I turned to face the entrance from the back room, leaning my body over the check out counter. Harry emerged from the back room with a vase full of flowers in his hands, and I heard him humming a soft tune to himself. He gasped and jumped, wincing slightly, when he noticed me, but he still managed to keep his grip on the vase of flowers.

"You scared me," Harry said, his free hand on his chest as he tried to calm himself after his moment of fright. "When did you come in? You were so quiet."

"A few seconds ago. I thought I heard you back there, but I didn't want to bother you," I said, hearing the front entrance to the flower shop open. A young couple walked in, and Harry greeted them before turning back to me.

"I was just working on a new arrangement for the window display." He walked behind the counter and grabbed some ribbon, tying the yellow thread around the vase in a neat bow. Even if it wasn't something I was passionate about, or even cared for, I had to admit that his arrangements always looked pretty good. He definitely had a talent-- even if it was one that was basically useless in a serious situation.

"Do you want me on the floor today or behind the counter?" I questioned, hoping I could stay and relax behind the counter instead of constantly doting on customers and listening to the reasons they need flowers. I didn't really fancy hearing about someone's birthday or wedding or some sorry guy trying to win over some girl he's had a crush on for ages.

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something before you got started today," He said, and I froze momentarily as Harry walked over to replace the flowers in the window. He reached over, his face screwing up into a painful grimace.

Something seemed off about him today. He didn't seem as peppy or happy. The smile on his lips seemed more forced than natural, and I only noticed the tired look in his eyes when I took a closer look at him. There were light bags forming beneath his eyes, and the pink of his cheeks weren't there. He seemed pale, in fact, almost lifeless.

Just play it cool, Louis.

I leaned against the counter and gave him my full attention. "Yeah? What is it?"

Harry glanced out at the couple browsing through the rows of flowers before turning back to me. "I was wondering... if you knew anything about fighting? Um, s-self-defense?" He stuttered out, his teeth worrying his bottom lip as he awaited my response.

It wasn't what I was expecting to hear from someone like him. In fact, I never thought I would hear those words from anyone in this town. The last time Harry and I spoke about things like this, he told me that it wasn't right to hurt people-- no matter what they did to you.

I raised an eyebrow at Harry as I relaxed even more against the counter. "I know a thing or two. I've taken some classes, but I never pegged you as a fighter."

"Oh, I'm not," Harry said, looking down at the ground as his cheeks coated in a light blush-- the first time his cheeks seemed alive with color today. He fiddled with his fingers as he swayed in his spot for a second. "I just think it'd be nice to know. You know... in case someone broke into the shop or... you know. You never know."

He shrugged his shoulders, but his eyes never met mine. Eye contact was definitely the first rule of lying. However, I decided not to pry. Besides, his personal life wasn't my business, and it wasn't my job to act as a friend or therapist to him.