𝐗𝐈𝐗. rebirth

I STARED DOWN AT my hands, taking in the sight

     I STARED DOWN AT my hands, taking in the sight. They were covered in red, hot blood.

     It all happened so fast. One minute I was crouched next to Alice and Jasper, asking questions about who I was, where I was, what had happened to me. The next, I was running.

     Chasing.

     Hunting.

     After I fed, Alice and Jasper were there to help. They calmed me down after the initial panic, explaining what I was: a vampire, like them. As vampires, we needed to drink blood. But, to avoid killing anyone, we hunted animals instead. A "vegetarian" lifestyle, the family called it.

     With the promise of a shower, I followed them to their home. "You'll feel better once you're cleaned up," Alice had whispered, looking down at my blood-covered arms.

     When we got back, the two handed me off to another woman I'd met earlier, who introduced herself as Esme. I was unresponsive as she led me to a bathroom and helped me undress. By the time I was in the shower, everything felt like a blur.

     The blood washed away, and I watched as it swirled around the drain. It was hypnotizing.

     Sitting down in the tub, dazed, I let the warm water hit me like heavy rain. I took my time, recounting everything I'd learned about myself since waking up. Or, my past life, so to speak.

     My name is Evelyn Crawford. I'm a newborn vampire. I live in Forks, Washington, with my older brother Daylin.

     I'm seventeen. Now, I'll always be seventeen.

     I sat like that for at least an hour. Eventually, Esme knocked, entering with new clothes. She set them down and left, giving me privacy once again.

     I turned off the shower and got out, staring at the pile with furrowed brows. Moving closer, I picked up the shirt and held it to my nose. It smelled familiar, but in a way I couldn't explain. Putting everything on, I looked at myself in the mirror.

     I looked like the Cullens, but one thing stood out as different. My eyes, unlike the pools of gold I'd grown accustomed to, were a striking red. I let out a shaky breath. For some reason, my reflection terrified me. I turned away quickly, rushing to leave.

     No more mirrors, that was for sure.

     As I exited the bathroom, I shut the door as silently as possible, listening. I could hear people down in the living room, where they'd been before. I debated over my options, soon realizing I didn't have many. Giving into the easiest one, I made my way downstairs. I still had more questions; without answers, I was stuck.

     Walking into the room, I kept my eyes trained on anything that moved.

     "Evelyn," Esme smiled, "how was your shower?"