𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. new reality

IT WAS DARK for so long

     Towards the beginning of this darkness, all I felt was pain. A hot, burning pain. It was excruciating.

     Once the fire subsided, the nothingness settled in.

     It was hard, remembering when the nothingness began. And more eerily, it was hard remembering when it stopped.

     Opening my eyes was blinding. But it didn't hurt; nothing hurt.

     I stared up into the light above me, wondering where I was.

     Heaven? Purgatory?

     Hell, maybe?

     I didn't know how long I laid like that, unmoving and gazing into the overwhelming white brightness.

A thought crossed my mind. Why wasn't I instantly looking away, blinking rapidly in discomfort?

     I guess I really was dead.

     Eventually, I decided to test if this was true or not. I slowly brought my hand to cover the light above me. It was far away, my fingers unable to touch it. Sitting up was the next step, my body easing up off of the surface it'd been on. My fingers trailed against the smooth surface beneath me, bare feet ghosting against the wooden floor.

     The room was dim, two of the walls made entirely of windows. I looked out of them, my eyes darting everywhere as I took in my surroundings.

     It was nighttime, but I could see just fine, oddly enough.

     I listened to the sounds of the forest, my mind almost as still as the air around me.

     The sound of footsteps approaching made my eyes dart towards the door. I stood completely still, watching as the doorknob turned.

     A small girl entered. I took in her appearance, detailing almost everything about her in mere seconds. Golden eyes, pale skin, and inky black, short hair. Everything about her was beautiful.

     Even the sad, confused look on her face was lovely.

     "You..." she breathed out, voice laced with heartbreak.

     I waited for her to continue, eyes unwavering, contemplating what she'd do next.

     "You don't remember."