𝐗. nothing compares

TAKING A STEP OUT, OF THE CAB, I took a deep breath

     My hands were shaking, I could feel how clammy they were.

     Not the most encouraging feeling in the world.

     I looked down at my outfit, wondering for the millionth time if it was good enough to possibly meet Emmett's parents. I'd kept it simple, wearing a usual loose sweater and jeans combo. Nothing special, the last thing I wanted to do was look silly.

     My eyes wandered over the sight of the house, and I was impressed. It was beautiful, sleek, modern... So unlike any other house in Forks. Honestly, I wasn't shocked that the Cullens lived somewhere so unique.

     As I approached the front door, my grip on the small stack of homework grew tighter and tighter.

     I wondered who would open the door. He did have a big family, so the possibilities seemed endless. I hoped to God that it wouldn't be Rosalie - I think I would've died from embarrassment, right on the front steps.

     Before I knew it, a shaky finger was pressing against the doorbell. My face was probably as white as a ghost. It was times like these that I hated my anxiety. All I was doing was dropping off his work, that was it.

     And trying to confess your feelings.    

     I closed my eyes and tried not to cringe at my thoughts. I couldn't chicken out, I was already there. There was no turning back. Bella's words played on repeat in my head, and I used them as motivation to keep a steady atmosphere.

     I couldn't remember how long it took for someone to open the door. It might've been five seconds or five minutes, but eventually someone answered.

     It was a dark-haired woman. I'd never seen her before, but I soon realized she was Emmett's mother.

     She was just as gorgeous as the rest of her family. She had the same amber-colored eyes and porcelain pale skin. Unlike the others, however, she had a round, soft face. Her features weren't as angular and sharp, but it gave her a sort of angelic, look. She seemed more approachable than the rest.

     She was still intimidatingly beautiful, but her presence was warm. She gave me a curious smile, and I timidly returned it.

    "Hello, can I help you?"

     "Um, hello- uh, I'm a friend of Emmett. I-I brought him some of his schoolwork, from today. Since he was- you know, not at school," I despised the fact that I could hear my own voice trembling.

     "Emmett? How thoughtful of you, I'm sure he'll be grateful. Unfortunately, he hasn't made it home from his hiking trip yet,"

     I felt my heart drop.

     "Oh..."

     "But you're more than welcome to come in. They should be back any minute."