𝐗𝐕𝐈. hákłtis forever

TO MY SURPRISE, Daylin was more than happy to ship me off to Florida for the weekend

      It didn't take any convincing after I told him it was to meet Bella's mother. He hated leaving me home alone, and with him working practically double his original hours, he thought the trip would do me some good.

      The week flew by, and before I knew it was soaking up all the sun Jacksonville had to offer.

     Renée was beyond ecstatic to meet me, hugging me within the first second of our introductions. She was warm and erratic, but I had been prepared after Bella's constant forewarnings during the flight.

      I found it funny how different they were, but I could see the comfort that Renée brought to her. Watching them interact throughout the trip tugged at my heartstrings, and I, of course, found myself missing my own mom. I tried not to dwell on it too much, instead losing myself in the endless tanning and storytimes of Bella's childhood.

     In the blink of an eye, Sunday morning arrived. Edward and I were giving the mother-daughter duo some alone time before our departure that evening, silence falling over us as I ate breakfast. I knew he was eavesdropping on the two women outside, and a small smirk overcame my features.

     "You aren't as sneaky as you think you are, Eduardo," I hummed, stabbing a piece of pineapple with my fork.

He glanced over at me, the ghost of a smile gracing his lips.

     "You sound like Emmett,"

     "Is that so?"

     "Yes,"

      I grinned at the bowl in front of me.

      "You know," he began, "it's strange."

     "What is?"

     "I didn't think someone as... anxious and timid as you would be able to handle him. You're much stronger than you appear."

     His words didn't offend or catch me off-guard. I'd gotten far too used to his oddly polite bluntness at that point.

     "You think I'm strong?" I chuckled with incredulity.

     "I know being here makes you think of your mother, but you haven't shown it. I would consider that strong, wouldn't you?"

     My eyes lowered to the side as I pulled my lips into a tight line.

     "...I apologize, I didn't mean to-"

     "It's fine, Edward. You're not wrong, being here with Renée does make me miss my mama, but... it's okay, I'm used to it: the missing," I could hear my voice growing distant as my eyes wandered to the two sitting outside.

     "What about you? You ever miss yours?"

     Edward shrugged as I peered over at him.