𝐗𝐈𝐕. all i could ask for

I LOVED THE HOLIDAYS

      I LOVED THE HOLIDAYS. They reminded me of my childhood - the good memories, at least.

      If there was one thing I remembered about my mother, it was visiting her in the hospital to watch Christmas movies and drink hot chocolate. The last years of her life had been difficult, but the way she smiled on those Christmas mornings always gave me hope.

Even though she was no longer with us, Christmas remained a happy holiday for Daylin and me. It reminded us of happier times.

     Winter break snuck up on me, but I welcomed it with open arms.

The second I could, I decorated the entire house. Tinsel lined the stairs, snow globes on the fireplace, big red bows on each door; no stone was left unturned.

And of course, there was the Christmas tree. Even though Daylin had been too busy with work to help me with the rest of the house, he put time aside to help set up the tree. It'd always been our favorite tradition; just the two of us, putting up different assortments of ornaments, accompanied by the crackling of a fireplace and festive music.

     I realized quickly I'd need another set of helping hands to put lights on the outside of the house. Luckily, I remembered I had the perfect candidate to take my brother's place - one who could probably get the job done faster than Daylin and I ever could.

     It didn't take much to convince Emmett to help me. In fact, I didn't have to do any convincing. He was more than happy to do it. It only took him an hour or so, with my supervision of course. I could tell by watching him that he was used to hard work.

It made me wonder what he used to do before he turned.

     That night, Emmett came to the alcove in my window. It had become a sort of ritual for us. He'd come up once Daylin was asleep, and sit with me for a few hours.

We talked about many things. Being a vampire and living for ninety-one years gave him a plethora of knowledge that often kept me asking questions. But on nights where I was tired, he'd let me lay my head against his chest, curled up in a ball on his lap. I'd read, and eventually, fall asleep. The next morning, I'd wake up in bed.

     However, tonight was not one of those nights.

     I asked him about his life before becoming a vampire. I learned he belonged to a working-class family in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. He had to hunt to provide for his family and did railway work with his younger brother. He never wanted them to struggle, so after he'd been turned he left a large sum of money on their doorstep.

     "Why couldn't you see them anymore? Was it because you were scared to hurt them?"

     My question made him shake his head as he played with my hair.

     "Not exactly. I was a newborn, yeah, but it wasn't the main reason why I couldn't seem 'em,"

     I waited for him to explain, a look of confusion crossing my face. He caught this, pursing his lips as he contemplated his reply.