𝐈. the rain

THE RAIN never stopped, not even when the sun would shine through the clouds for a mere second – it was never-ending

THE RAIN never stopped, not even when the sun would shine through the clouds for a mere second – it was never-ending. It was as if Forks, Washington was made for those dreary souls that inhabited the earth, or at least that's what I told herself.

I was ecstatic that my brother, Daylin, had received his first-ever actual police position, and not just some mall cop. But, there was always a price to pay – that price being a huge move from Georgia to Washington. Going from sunshine and warm weather to the consistent, chilly downpour was hard. Hell, even pulling up to our new home was less than exciting.

The place was an old, two-story house with a chipping pale blue paint job and overgrown vines scaling up the sides. It was charming, in a sense, but underwhelming. Daylin had gotten a great deal on it though, the landlord having noticed our living situation. Rent wasn't too expensive, but just like everything else in our life, it would be a struggle.

I didn't mind the struggle. It was Daylin and me against the world, always. We could handle anything life threw at us, as long as we were together. . .

      BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

Maybe not everything.

I groaned as I leaned across my bed, managing to eventually hit my alarm clock in the right spot to make it shut up. I shivered at the cool air that filled my room, the grayish light of the early morning seeping through my yellow curtains. Finally, I leaned over, cracking open an eye to look at the time.

      7:30 am.

I let out a huff, my body already filling with dread. It was the first day I would be attending Forks High School, and I was honestly nervous. Sure, I had arrived at Forks two weeks ago, but I hadn't left the house since then. I convinced Daylin it was because I was still "settling in" and hadn't finished unpacking. In all honesty, I finished unpacking the day of my arrival, but avoiding school was easier than facing it.

Unfortunately, Daylin made the executive decision that it was time I attend Forks High. It was the middle of the first semester of my senior year, and I was already dreading it. Everyone already knew one another, prom dates were probably established, and cliques were more set in stone than marble statues themselves. It was tough, but I'd manage. I think.

My feet hit the dark, hardwood flooring and I let out another shiver. Compared to Georgia, everything was cold. The air, the furniture, the floor, the rain, even the rare sunlight that would appear for an hour wasn't very warm.

It all felt so foreign.

I managed to stumble to the bathroom that Daylin and I shared, the hallway seemingly more cool than my room. I squinted, wondering why in the hell the heat wasn't on. It dawned on my tired mind that it was probably to save money, which made me less grumpy over the whole ordeal. I knew how hard it was for Daylin to budget everything, and he worked hard to provide for us - for me.