𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈. don't let go

THE DAY FELT LONG after Bella and Edward left

I was waiting for nightfall when Emmett would come. At first, I'd been concerned that Daylin may hear him, or he'd struggle to get in. But the more I thought about it, the more realized that Emmett wouldn't get me in trouble. The whole purpose of him coming was to talk and reconcile. If he was as torn up as Edward said he was, he wouldn't do anything to ruin his chances.

When Daylin got home from the station, I already had dinner made. We ate and talked, my mind elsewhere.

I couldn't shake the fact that I'd be seeing Emmett in just a few hours. Should I shower? Clean my room? Maybe curl my hair? Wait, why did that matter? He wouldn't care.

"Hey, you listening to me?"

Shit.

"H-Huh?"

Daylin set down his glass with a laugh.

"I swear, one day your head's gonna get lost in them clouds, Eve."

My cheeks heated up, embarrassed that I'd been caught off guard. I huffed, standing up as I grabbed both of our empty plates.

"Leave me alone, I was just thinking, that's all,"

"Alright, well now that you're done thinking I'll ask again: who was that boy last night, hm?"

My blood went cold, and I focused on setting the dishes in the sink. I carefully thought over my answer. I didn't want to lie, I hated lying to him.

"His name is Emmett Cullen,"

"I know, he told me. But who is he? To you?"

I knew what he was insinuating. I scrubbed the plate in my hand, trying to find the right words.

"He... well, we," I struggled, "I dunno..."

Daylin pursed his lips, running his tongue across his teeth. He already knew the answer to his question, but it was probably hard for him to accept.

"....so are you two dating?"

"No, we are not dating, Daylin,"

"Last night, he said-"

"I know what he said last night. But we aren't dating. Not yet-"

"Hah! I knew it! You like him, don't you?"

I groaned, turning around to face him. He had a smug grin on his face, arms crossed over his chest. I hated how inquisitive he was being. More so, I hated that he was right. He knew it, too.

"So what? Even if I did, it's not like you'd support it,"

"Who said that?" he feigned a look of innocence, but I saw through it.