𝐈𝐈. dropping books

IF YOU ASKED ME what I thought my biggest flaw was, I'd immediately respond with clumsy

      IF YOU ASKED ME what I thought my biggest flaw was, I'd immediately respond with clumsy. I'd always been clumsy, ever since the day I could walk – even Daylin agreed. Whether it was tripping over my own feet or dropping a glass and shattering it, I had done it all. It wasn't endearing or cute, or helpful whatsoever; not at all like how they made it out in the stories. It was awkward, and made me cringe harder than anything else.

      Because of this, I hated libraries. They were meant for swift and silent people, who could actually breathe without accidentally knocking over nearby objects. Sadly, I was in high school, and sometimes library trips were mandatory.

      It was only my second day and I was already being forced to research for my botany class. I didn't mind the research or writing the paper, it was the library that annoyed me most. Anytime I entered one, it felt like I was tiptoeing through a field of landmines, constantly trying to avoid being blown up – or in this case, publicly humiliated.

      My first day had gone well enough. I didn't mind my classes, I had found people to sit with during lunch, and things were looking up. But, that didn't detour from the fact that I was still the new girl. All I could do was smile sweetly and stay quiet; I was not one for uncomfortable situations.

      Walking into the Forks High School library, I immediately began to look around. The area was just as silent as I had expected it to be. Only a few kids were present, spread out as if they were each avoiding the plague. I didn't mind this though. After all, I liked my personal space.

      Making my way to the nonfiction side of the library, I easily found the botany book I was searching for.

       Each move I made was careful and filled with worry, not wanting to drop a book or two. I knew the hardbacks falling on the wood floor beneath me would only draw attention; and that was not something I craved at the moment.

        Eventually, I found two books that I needed. Both in hand, I quickly turned around to make my way to the desk, when I ran straight into another person. My fears became reality as I dropped both of my books, the girl in front of me doing the same. I hit the ground, the noise pulling people's stares towards us. I cringed, my eyebrows knitting together as I frowned.

      "I-I'm so sorry, jeez, uh-" The girl in front of me seemed just as awkward, her dark brown hair moving in front of her face as she eagerly moved to pick up her books. She was pretty, with dainty features and ivory pale skin.

      "You're fine, really. It was my fault," I sighed, also bending over to grab my books. Once we gathered our belongings, she finally looked back at me. I was the first to make a move, holding out a free hand, "I'm Evelyn Crawford."

      "Bella, Bella Swan. Um... uh, isn't your brother a, a cop?" My small grin faltered at her words, but quickly reappeared as I nodded.

      "Well, um... My dad, he's the chief. So, don't worry. I get it. You're proud of them, but... everyone looks at you like they're gonna be arrested if they make the wrong move."