𝐗𝐈. too much

FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS, I did exactly what I said I would

I tried to do my research on Emmett, searching for the answer to a question I didn't understand. However, I'd be lying if I said the first two nights of my investigation weren't just me staring blankly at the Google search bar.

I didn't even know where to begin. I eventually started with the simplest thing I could: typing Emmett's name into the search bar. When no results popped up, I felt like an idiot. But, that didn't stop me from continuing down that path. I proceeded to type in every single one of the Cullens' names.

At least I knew none of them were wanted criminals. With how Emmett had spoken, it seemed like a possibility.

To top it all off, we had the worst possible internet. The weak signal and my ancient laptop weren't a good combination.

At school, I kept things business as usual.

Emmett walked me to and from my classes, I did my best to focus on my lessons, and Bella and I still hung out during our free period. However, my new lunch situation was anything but normal. Because of my little scrap with Jessica, I decided to sit in the library. I didn't mind, it gave me time to get my homework done. That way, the second I got home, I could focus on my detective work.

Emmett and I didn't talk about my little mission; we ignored it entirely. Well, until I could present him with an answer, at least.

It wasn't until the fourth night that I found myself close to giving in. This wasn't a game that I could just ask for a hint, and it was as though I'd looked through every possibility. I had deep-dived into so many different conspiracies, legends, you name it - I read it all and tried desperately to connect anything to the Cullens.

Aliens were my best guess.

It was Saturday night, and the clock had just struck nine-thirty. I was thirty-two pages into an "Ancient Creatures" catalog on a random website, ready to call it a night. But something caught my eye.

Eight lines down, in times new roman font.

     "The Cold Ones are one of the most ancient creatures known to mankind. Immortality consumes them, and they live their days in the darkness. With skin as cold as ice, pale as the moon, they entrap humans with their sheer beauty,"

I stopped reading, my tired mind barely able to take in the information. I racked my brain, the name of the ancient creature striking a nerve. I knew I'd heard it before...

Embry. He'd mentioned the Cold Ones during his story about his tribe's legends.

I felt myself inhale sharply, my fingers moving slow on the keyboard as I typed in a new search. I was on to something.

After typing in the "Cold Ones" my heart stopped the second I saw the first result's URL.

Along with a multitude of random numbers and letters, one word, in particular, caught my eye.