𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. falling

I COULD STILL FEEL MY HEART pumping as I made my way through the hallways

     I COULD STILL FEEL MY HEART pumping as I made my way through the hallways. My mind was reeling, the words I said playing like a mixtape on repeat in my head. I couldn't stop thinking about Rosalie's face, too.

     There was a fire in her eyes that, thinking back on it, had been terrifying. The subtle snarl on her lips normally would've been enough to drive me off, yet... I'd stood my ground. I couldn't decide what had gotten into me. Was it Bella's reassuring words from Saturday night? Or something more?

     I shrugged off my self-doubt, instead choosing to focus on my win. I rarely stood up for myself, fearful of embarrassment or conflict. I wouldn't call myself a scaredy-cat, but it was no secret that I suffered from some pretty awful anxiety.

      Daylin said mom had been an anxious soul too, and that sometimes made me feel a bit better about it.

     I was sp deep in thought, I didn't even hear the faint sound of my name being called out. That is, not until I felt someone walk up next to me.

     I blinked, inhaling sharply as Emmett walked in stride with me, his hands shoved in his pockets as he smiled. He wasn't even watching where he was walking - he just stared at me. Eventually, I stopped, and he did too. I stood up against a locker, making sure we were both out of everyone's way.

     "Cat got your tongue?"

     I was unable to answer, I was speechless. There he was, standing right in front of me. I found myself thrown off by his voice. It had been a month or so since I'd last heard it, after all. Nonetheless, it was comforting. Like a weighted blanket.

     "Uhh, no- I mean-"

     "That was pretty badass back there. Nice going, short stuff,"

     I wanted to be offended by his out-of-pocket nickname, but I couldn't. Instead, I smiled. Emmett saw this, his chest puffing out. He seemed to like his own effect on me.

     "Thanks. You, uh... don't think Rosalie's too mad, do you?"

     "Oh no, she's pissed. But, nothin' you can do about it now. Guess you'll have to stick to your word and not avoid anyone, huh?" He crossed his arms, his large form looming over my own.

      It could be considered comedic how much bigger he was compared to me. I know some people would say it was endearing, but I was finding it more annoying than anything. It was like sitting front row at the movie theater, my neck bent upwards just to look into his eyes.

     "Guess so," I mused lightly, my eyes shifting downwards as I began to play with the ends of my cardigan.

     It grew quiet after I spoke, the air around us nearly suffocating me. His eyes felt like the sun, burning deeper into me as he continued to stare.

      Eventually, I looked back up at him. I couldn't help it. He was so beautiful, like some sort of greek statue. Hell, like a greek god. He was utterly flawless, and I could only stare.