𝐈𝐗. the sun

I AWOKE WITH A cold sweat

I AWOKE WITH A cold sweat. I couldn't remember what I'd been dreaming about, but frankly, I didn't care. My main focus was a shower - I felt disgusting.

That morning, Daylin was quiet. More quiet than usual.

      He'd been working long hours, no doubt he was tired. We never spoke about his work. Daylin always said that once he was home, the last thing he wanted to talk about was his job. I knew he loved it, but I also knew he needed to rest after a long day.

Even so, I couldn't help but feel good as we drove by the plentiful evergreens that lined the poorly paved roads. The sun was out, shining brighter than it ever had since I'd arrived. I was thankful for the good weather, it reminded me of Georgia. It wasn't hot, not in the slightest. I'd say the temperature was in the mid-forties. I was just happy to see something other than rain and clouds.

I wondered if Emmett agreed.

It was silly to be curious over something so minor, but my mind had been doing it rather often, especially when it involved him.

A crush. That's what I had deemed it the previous night: a crush. The way the boy made me feel was exactly how girls in young adult novels described their blossoming feelings for the leading man.

And although Emmett was the perfect leading man material, I was no main character.

As soon as I stood in the parking lot, I caught myself turning to look at the spot where the Cullens always parked.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't devastated by what my eyes saw.

Three empty spots.

I felt my face contort into a look of confusion. None of them were here? Why? I could understand maybe one or two of them being late, or sick, but all five of them?

It was the rumble of an old, rusty red truck that broke me from my array of questions. It pulled into one of the three empty parking spots, and I instantly recognized the driver as Bella. Without giving it a second thought, I began to walk over to her. She didn't notice me approaching until I was only a few feet away, but she instantly offered me a smile and wave. I mimicked her, before inhaling.

"So... where is everyone? Gone on vacation?"

I felt silly, instantly asking about the Cullens. But I couldn't help it. After Emmett and I's moment the afternoon prior, and his sudden disappearance, I found myself missing him.

"Kinda. Um, when the weather is nice they go, like, hiking? Carlisle is super into nature,"

I nodded at her words, holding the straps of my bag tightly. I was just glad to hear that they were okay - that Emmett was okay.

"Huh... odd. I-I mean, cool too. Kinda wish Daylin would do that. Feels like he's never getting out of work these days,"

A halfhearted smile found its way on Bella's lips as she reassuringly patted my shoulder. It was a little awkward as if she rarely made contact with people. Nonetheless, it was a kind gesture.