𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈. nightmare

ON OUR DRIVE HOME, I told Bella everything Embry and I had talked about

     ON OUR DRIVE HOME, I told Bella everything Embry and I had talked about. She seemed relieved to know I'd found out about the Quileute's secret.

     I explained Embry and I's oath, even allowing her to see the document itself.

     In return, she told me about Jacob's less than pleased reaction to her decision on mortality. I wasn't shocked, but I still felt bad that he refused to support her. Jacob and Embry were the same age, but Jacob seemed far more temperamental. And in that way, childish. Of course, Jacob's relationship with Bella was quite different than mine and Embry's. At the end of the day, he wanted her. And while his chances were already low, they would be nonexistent if she were to become a vampire.

     After dropping Bella off, I made my way home. Pulling into the driveway, I sighed. No Daylin, again. I glanced at the digital clock in the car, wondering how much later he'd be. It was only nine, so I assumed it'd be a few hours.

Getting out, I took my phone and called him to let him know I was home. By the time he answered, I was already closing the front door behind me.

     "Hey, Eve!"

     "Hey, Day. Just wanted to let you know I'm home from the rez," I'd texted him earlier that I'd been hanging out with Embry, "still at the station?"

     He let out a long, heavy sigh.

     "Unfortunately. It's just me tonight, so things are pretty quiet,"

     "Where's everyone else?"

     "They all left for the evenin'. I offered to take the late-night shift for Chief Swan, he's been exhausted. Workin' from home and stuff,"

     "Aw, well... that was nice of you. You need anything?"

     "Actually," he yawned, "some coffee would be great. There's a pot here but we don't have any grounds..."

     Within seconds I was at the coffee pot, filling it with water.

     "Say no more. I'll be there in like, half-hour?"

     "Anyone ever told you you're the best?"

     "Not lately, no," I rolled my eyes, before bidding him goodbye and hanging up.

     Checking on the coffee one last time, I made my way to my room. I was dying to put on different clothes. The ones I had on smelled like... dog. No hate to Embry, of course.

     Once I changed, I found myself looking around my room.

My eyes wandered across all the photos of me, my brother, a few of my mother... I smiled as I came across one of Daylin and me as children, and my mom - alive and well. I'd been a baby, so I had zero recollection of it. But that didn't mean it never happened.