37: Akash's Woes II

"Akash, if I ask you something will you answer me truthfully?" Devika questioned. After observing that Akash was still on his guard with General Abhay, Devika decided to step in and talk. Her voice was soft and calming.

"Of course, Princess. It is my duty to answer you truthfully." Akash replied. He was feeling relaxed when talking with Devika. Perhaps it was due to the similarity in their age or perhaps he found it difficult to talk with an imposing man such as General Abhay. General Abhay indeed loooked scary especially when he has a serious demeanor.

"How did you get the injuries on your body?" Devika asked him.

"I was punished by my father for misbehaving with you." Akash replied.

"Why did you misbehave in the tournament?" Devika continued asking softly.

"I was arrogant and ill informed. If I had known that you are the Princess, I never would have behaved in such a manner." Akash replied with his head bowed.

Devika glanced at him and then started laughing. Abhay and Akash glanced towards her perplexed.

"Akash, do you take me for a fool? You are the legitimate son of one of the top ranking Generals of our country. How is it possible that you don't know the faces of royalty? I know that we have never met each other but you have never seen a single portrait of the royal family is a bit hard to digest. Also I am pretty sure that when Father and Princess Gayatri married each other you had attended the wedding. All the noble families were required to attend it. So even though we never met face to face, how is it that you didn't catch even a single glimpse of my face?" Devika reasoned calmly.

Akash had lost the color in his face by the end of Devika's explanation. However not letting Akash speak a word, she purposefully ignored his expression and continued, "Why do you think I recommended that you study under the tutelage of General Abhay? He is the most decorated and veteran warrior of Nala Kingdom. You would be able to get plentiful knowledge under his guidance. Anyone can reach their full potential, gain skills and successfully make their career in our military with his help. Why would I help a person who tried to harm me by asking General Abhay to train them? Do you really think that after your stunt yesterday, I would not have made enquiries into your situation? Do you think we are blind and cannot see that despite suffering heavy injuries you want to learn physical combat? Do you think that you can hide the truth and lie boldly to a member of royal family? Have some faith Student Akash, you should never lie to those who are helping you, especially when they are your teacher."

Devika's crude words made Akash silent. He bowed his head and thought of his Mother who was punished due to his yesterday's plan. He felt that he was truly a stupid and useless person. Not only did his plan to uncover the dark activities of General Surya failed but also his Mother was beaten and abused for the whole night. He had not only failed to rescue her but also brought her more harm. After berating himself for a long time, he finally decided to take Princess Devika's advice and tell truth to General Abhay.

But he couldn't bring himself to raise his head and look them in the eye. How could he tell them of the atrocities he and his mother suffered under that monster's hands. He couldn't hold himself back and started shedding tears. Drop after drop, tears rolled out of his eye making his vision blurry.

"You are crying? Please don't be sad. I am sorry for scolding you." Devika said, aghast at his tears. She truly didn't think that he would start crying all of a sudden.

"Idiot."

A voice said followed by a yell, making Akash look up at them. Princess Devika was glaring at General Abhay in an accusatory but cute manner.

"General, you are scolding me?" Devika half commented and half asked.

"Of course, I am scolding you." General Abhay said nonchalantly, "Little one, is this how you wanted to earn his trust? You made me hold back but plunged headlong into scaring the child. That's not good at all. I will ask your Father to increase your etiquette lessons." Even as General Abhay scolded her, he held a soft look on his face, almost doting like a father would look at their child.

Although Devika was still wearing a sad expression, she wasn't actually feeling bad. She knew that this display of casual behavior would further encourage Akash to open up with them. This 'pouting child and affectionately scolding father' kind of scene that they presented him was something that he had never experienced personally. The kindness, gentle behavior was what his heart craved since childhood.

"I... I am sorry Princess. I am sorry General Abhay. I sh... shouldn't have pulled yesterday's stunt nor tr... tried to lie to you today. I am ready to face any punishment you give me. Just before you send me off, I want to tell you everything. My mother... she is leading a very miserable life in that mansion. Her own husband hates her and allows others to... abuse her. Please... I just want my Mother safe and sound. I am willing to do anything for that. Please rescue her. She is the only person in that house who is innocent." Akash said his voice stuttering due to his tears.

Taking a deep breath he started narrating the incidents of the previous night. He told them how his Father in rage had beat him black and blue. Over the years he had became a vessel for his father's anger. No matter if it was his illegitimate siblings who had done wrong, the blame would always land on his head. Last night however, his mother was the one who was punished the most.

Listening to Akash's story, was enough to make anyone sad. It served to anger Devika and pushed General Abhay into rage. Both of them remained calm in front of Akash.

Rewa was quietly standing in a corner softly shedding tears of sadness for the pain suffered by the adolescent boy.