16: Test of Skills

Entering the medical facility kept for training the maids and Devika, Guruji's face today was very sombre. Everyone guessed it must be due to the morning incidents.

Guruji said, "Last night, our King was in the danger of being fed with an aphrodisiac. An aphrodisiac so powerful that it doesn't activate immediately but takes time to spread throughout the body. After this drug spreads in your body, it can only be cured by intercourse. I mean the relations between a man and woman." Guruji hesitated as Devika was just a seven year old child and he didn't really want to take away her innocence. But seeing Devika's non-committal expression, he continued his explanation, "There is no other cure for it. But it is double edged, this drug also makes the recipient more fertile. There is no way a female wouldn't become pregnant after the... uh.. encounter."

"In the past few days we have studied the characteristics and effects of various herbs and plants that are easily available to common people. I will be conducting a test to see how much knowledge you have retained. I have kept a few herbs on the table in the front of class. You are going to create a list that would separate toxic nd non toxic herbs. You have half hour to complete it and your time starts now."

Each person went near the table and wrote their observations on a piece of parchment. Just marking the herbs toxic or non toxic. Then they submitted their observations to Guruji who told them if they were correct or wrong. Devika went last of all and marked her answers. She showed them to Guruji who frowned.

"Little Princess, your answers... It's a good effort Princess but all your answers are wrong." Guruji commented with some hesitation.

"Oh dear! I am so sorry Teacher." Devika replied thoroughly embarrassed.

"It is okay, Little Princess. I know you are getting warrior training as well. It might be difficult for you to do both the trainings together. You will do better next time." Guruji said patting the little girl's head.

'Next time? Difficult to do both? No, it is my fault. I wanted to be better but never put in an effort for this. I must work hard. I cannot relax and be lazy like last life time. I will strive to be better... I must.' Devika thought saddened by the result.

A few of the students around her were excitedly discussing their results as they had got good marks. But now when Devika didn't pass they also became quiet.

As the class was over by that time, Devika walked to her chambers. "Princess..." Rewa interrupted her, "Please don't be sad Little Princess. We maids get more time to study after our morning chores. You get little time due to warrior training. If you want, then we can help you study more."

"Rewa, I don't intend to be an expert in medicinal art. Just enough to recognise poison and make antidote for it. However, today's test made me see that I couldn't even guess the common toxic plants. How am I supposed to continue I don't know. But I will think on it and work for it."

"We will help you Little Princess." Rewa said.

Devika just nodded her head and stepped in her room.

----------------

Devika was pacing her room thinking of how to best use the time in which she could learn everything. It was easy now as she just had to learn warrior training and antidote making, but in a couple of years, she would have to learn arts for women folk. Her aunt would insist that she learn them. Thankfully she retained memory from her past life of the arts and she wouldn't need to start from beginning in this life.

She decided that maybe it was time to heed to General Abhay and trust one of her elders who could guide her. After all these two trainings were difficult to undergo at the same time.

-----------------------

A few days later:

In the morning, Devika was practicing her archery skills. She could now hit near the centre of the target and Veer, who was besides her, was even better, he could accurately hit the target. Both of the were training from a distance of about 10 yards.

Although traditionally, young archers like them should start from 5 yards, their teacher wanted them to be best of all and was pushing them incessantly in everything. So far, Veer and Devika had proves that they were the best disciples. General Abhay wanted them to be the best. Although he had assumed that Devika had just wanted to do the training due to boredom, it didn't mean that he was going to push her any less. After viewing the archery skills of Princess Gayatri, he wanted Devika to be as good as her if not surpass her.

Devika was more or less pushing herself as well. She sat awake late at night studying the characteristics of various plants and herbs. There were times when she was so exhausted she wanted to cry and yet she persisted. However this was slowly taking a toll on her overall health. Her eyes had started having faint dark circles and she was always tired. The past few days were stressful for her. People around her had noticed it, but they held back from commenting as Devika was very determined.

After the training completed, Devika held back from rushing to her room and sat down to chat with General Abhay. She told him her problem.

"Hmm, so giving time to both is crucial otherwise you will just end up average student in both of the trainings. Give me some time. I will think of a plan and let you know." General Abhay replied.

"Why do you need to think? Why do you need to undergo both trainings? You already have started the education of 20 or so maids. We can simply add more for the healer training. You really don't require to do anything." Veer interrupted.

Abhay frowned and gently hit the head of Veer. "Oww" Veer grimaced.

"Idiot! She is a Princess. Behave properly in front of her. She is also the only heir of the kingdom. If she wants to learn more then that is good not bad." Abhay replied.

"I thought you would have asked me to give up on one of the trainings, to leave things to others and lectured me to trust others again." Devika replied softly.

General Abhay laughed at her statement and Veer also had a wry smile on his lips.

"What? Why are you laughing?" Devika asked a bit disgruntled.

"Little Princess, you have demonstrated your trust in me by letting me know of your problems. Maybe you don't realise but you are letting people in slowly. Trust should not be given to all and everyone but a select few. And I feel privileged that I am one of the few you trust." Abhay replied.

"How do I learn who to trust?" Devika muttered under her breath.

"By experiencing heart breaks." Abhay replied.

Devika glanced up surprised that he was able to hear her. Abhay gave her a smile and patted her head gently.