29: Outing

The next day Devika, Veer and Dev set off in a carriage surrounded by soldiers. They were going to take a round around the capital in the carriage and then go shopping and end their trip with a late lunch in the botanical gardens.

Prince Dev was waiting with his nanny for Devika and Veer to come down so that they can start their trip soon. There were soldiers riding horses and even their carriage driver was a highly capable soldier in disguise. No one knew that even the nanny was equipped with daggers that she could use proficiently. Devika and Dev were the children of their King and these soldiers could lay down their life for both the royal siblings. The security was so tight for them that even if someone had bad intentions towards them, the very sight of their security will give them a pause.

By the time Veer and Devika arrived Prince Dev's excitement had reached it's height. "Sister... Sister come quickly. We have to go outside." Prince Dev called her. Veer and Devika laughed at his antics. Veer extended his hand to help Devika get in the carriage. After Devika got in, Veer climbed inside the carriage and shut the door. He gestured the driver to start the journey.

As the carriage started moving, Dev stuck to the door of the carriage looking outside all the time. He wanted to observe the environment outside of the Palace as much as he could. The wind was blowing gently and teased Devika's hair. She had a gentle smile on her lips and had one hand around her brother. Veer was looking at her, he felt something in his heart but maybe because he was too young that he couldn't yet understand what the feeling was.

As the carriage moved one could see elegant buildings moving by which were soon replaced with beautiful greenery. People realised that it was the carriage of royal family and they gave way to it so the speed of the carriage was good as well. Prince Dev was smiling in happiness and pointing out the interesting things to Devika and Veer. Devika kept a hand around him to ensure he doesn't lean far out of the window.

The shops had opened by now and Veer took them to a quaint little shop which sold toys for young children. Dev was having fun looking at the toys and trying to pick which ones he wanted. There were so many colourful toys and each one had a different thing that could attract the children. Dev wanted almost all of them. He was picking up random things when they were stopped him. Devika told him stone sternly that he could only pick 5 toys to take away for now, the rest he had to wait till the next time they come for an outing.

"Sister... How could I pick only five? This horse comes in three different colours and this tiger looks so fierce. Look Veer they even have swords and also bow and arrows. This bullock cart is painted very nicely. They also have small huts. Sister please let me take them all. Veer tell Sister to allow me." Prince Dev started whining.

"Calm down, Little Prince. If I ask your sister to back down then tomorrow she will take off my head with a real sword while training." Veer murmured to him discreetly. They both glanced at Devika and saw that she was distracted by a vendor selling glass bangles.

"How about I help you make the selection? That way we will both be safe on the ride back." Veer continued, "Now look I know for a fact that you already have plenty of horses and tigers and other wild animals in your toy collection. Also as far as I know His Majesty, Your Father, is going to start your basic self defence training very soon. At that time you will be given a sword to handle. So buying these things is surely a waste. Why don't you take the bow and arrows, that fake shield, the little huts and that that house which can be disassembled and assembled again. What do you think Little Prince?"

"That is only four things. I must select one more. What should I buy as my fifth toy?" Dev asked happy with Veer's suggestions.

"Hmmm... Instead of a toy how about we get some candy for you?" Veer suggested.

"Candy? From outside? But Elder Sister says that I should not eat food cooked outside the Palace. She says it will be harmful for me." Dev explained.

"Is that so? Don't worry. I will convince your sister and get some sweets and candy for both of you. Okay?" Veer assured him.

"Really? You are so nice Brother Veer. I wish you were my big brother." Dev said

"Eh? You want me? You don't want your elder sister?" Veer asked him.

"No... No.. I want her. But I want you as well." Dev said.

Devika came back after buying glass bangles for Gayatri and herself. She also brought some for her personal maids to give away as gifts. "What were you guys talking about?" she asked them.

"Nothing much. Did you finish your purchase?" Veer asked her.

"Yes." Devika said, "Little Prince did you select your five toys?"

"Yes Sister. I got four toys. Brother Veer said that since I behaved nicely and only brought four toys he is going to get sweets and candy for us." Dev reported happily. Veer had a wry smile on his face after being told on by the little one.

Devika raised an eyebrow and asked, "Did Veer say that now? Interesting."

"Yes. He also said that will handle you." Dev continued happily.

In that moment, Veer really wanted nothing more than to spank the kid tattling on him. But he could only swallow his grievance and sigh in his heart.

"Well, since he promised to get the sweets for us then our next stop should be the biggest sweet shop in the capital." Devika said smiling. Veer understood that it was her little revenge and she planned on letting him handle Prince Dev in the sweet shop.

A commotion in th street caught their attention. Immediately, Devika moved closer to Little Prince and held his hand. The soldiers surrounded three of them very well. After ensuring that Prince Dev was safely in the carriage, Devika moved with a couple of soldiers to check out the commotion.

A crowd had gathered in front of the biggest medical shop of the capital. Shouting could be heard from inside. Devika entered the shop with the soldiers and saw that a young man was kneeling on the floor and a man who seemed to be the shopkeeper was scolding him fiercely.

"What is the matter?" Devika enquired in a loud voice. It caught the attention of people and after noticing that it was Princess Devika in front of them, all the people quickly bowed to show their respect. Devika made the gesture for them to stand straight.

"What is the matter? Why is there such a huge commotion in the shop?" Devika asked.

"Princess, it is nothing. We can handle it ourselves. Forgive us for disturbing you." the shopkeeper immediately replied showing his good side.

"Don't make the Princess ask again. Tell her what is the matter very clearly." one of the soldiers guarding her said sternly.

"Princess, it is the fault of this commoner. I wanted a few herbs from the shop. Unfortunately I don't have enough money. I asked the shopkeeper if he could sell me at a lower price but he refused. I decided to leave but I saw that the helpers were throwing away bad herbs and I thought if I could get them then I can give it to my mother who is severely ill. But they called me a thief and started scolding me." the young man stated bowing humbly.

"What herbs do you want, Mister?" Devika asked the man. Hesitating a bit he rattled off the names of the herbs. The herbs he listed were not that rare but quite common.

Devika asked the shopkeeper to hand over the herbs required by the man and then paid the bill for the man. While paying the bill she noted that even though the herbs were common the combined price for them came upto two silver coins.

"Thank you, Your Highness. This commoner will remember your favour." the man said a bit ashamed to be taking things for free.

"Favour? I didn't do any favours to you Mister. When your Mother is well come down to the Palace to settle your debt. If you don't have money then I will give you work to do in the Palace." Devika said.

The man agreed happily and left to get to his mother quickly. Devika to climbed up in the carriage and left that place.