26: A Wedding

Devika jumped up and walked towards Mahendra and Vaishali, "Beloved Grandparents, will you allow your younger daughter to marry into the household of Nala royal family?" She spoke formally.

"Devika..." King Nanda spoke abashed. His embarrassment gave way to anger due to embarrassment and he walked towards her and picked her up in his arms, "You are becoming naughty day by day. I must ask General Abhay to increase your training hours."

"Father, you can't bully me. I will complain to Mother." Devika said looking at Gayatri. She was still just standing near the door completely bewildered by the turn of events. Devika got down quickly and stood in front of her grandparents, "Will you allow Aunty to be married with Father?"

Queen Vaishali bent down to the height of Devika and pulled her in a tight hug. Tears started pouring down Vaishali's eyes. "I am sorry." she said, "Please forgive me little one. I had no idea that Rajni killed your Mother. I... I blamed you for her death. It was wrong of me. I am an elder and yet behaved so wrongly with my descendant. Forgive me Little Princess."

Devika was stunned when her grandmother hugged her. She wanted to step back and avoid contact with that woman. Yet, when she heard sobbing sounds and the heartfelt apology, she stayed quietly in her grandmother's arms. Raising a small hand, she patted her grandmother lightly and said, "It is okay Grandmother. Please don't cry. Mother will be upset with me that I made you cry."

Hearing such words from her seven year old granddaughter, Vaishali and Mahendra felt ashamed. Mahendra sat on his knees and said, "We are sorry for misunderstanding you little one. I, as the King of Kuru Kingdom, promise you help in any situation. Whenever you require our help, me and my descendants will stand besides you."

Devika nodded slightly and gave them a brilliant smile. She continued, "Right now I do require your help to convince Aunt to become my Mother." The words were spoken in a soft voice but were heard by all. They caused the four adults in the room to laugh happily.

Soon the royal priest was called to confirm an auspicious date for the wedding. He gave them a date that was only a month away. After the date was confirmed, preparations were made to celebrate the second wedding of King Nanda.

All the sweet shops in the capital were recruited to make sweets for the whole month in which wedding was to take place. The dressmakers became busy as all noble families placed their orders and snatched up the best dress makers for themselves. The dressmakers in the palace were busy all day every day. The royal wedding attire was being made by top notch dress designer.

Everyone inside the Palace was busy as well. Beautiful flowers were strung from ceiling to floor and each room had a different flower arrangement. Gifts and well wishes from neighbouring kingdoms were pouring in. The gifts from Kuru Kingdom formed a huge line that extended to a few kilometres. It was to be the dowry of Princess Gayatri. When King Nanda saw the huge size of dowry, he sent over more than equal amount of gifts back to Kuru Kingdom.

For the convenience purpose, Gayatri and her parents were moved to the summer palace in western hills. The wedding was supposed to take place there and King Nanda would bring her back to the main Palace. Devika was supposed to remain with King Nanda but she made huge protests and finally left along with Gayatri to stay in the summer palace. King Nanda sent his best warriors to guard them along with a few healers.

Inspite of the wedding only being a week away, King Nanda wrote a letter each day to Gayatri. Gayatri as well replied back each day. Everyone was happy because of this wedding. Finally, the day of wedding arrived and Princess Gayatri of Kuru Kingdom married to King Nanda of Nala Kingdom, officially becoming his wife. The whole capital was bright with diyas and rangoli spread on all the roads.

----------------------

A week after the wedding, the coronation ceremony for Gayatri to officially become the Queen of Nala Kingdom was set. In the main square of the capital, Gayatri was to be sworn in her position. She had to give an oath to people of Nala Kingdom after which she would be crowned as the Queen. Gayatri was feeling very nervous. It was her own coronation.

'Will I make a good Queen? What will the people of Nala Kingdom think of me? Will they accept me as their ruler? Is the oath that I have written down good enough? Does it lack in anything? Do I lack in anything? Should I check the oath once again? I should check the coronation outfit in mirror. I will ask the maids to check if my hair is proper. Why am I getting so nervous? I wasn't this nervous when I married Nanda, then why am I losing my composure today?' Thoughts kept running in Gayatri's mind and she stood up and started to pace in her room. 

King Nanda was kept busy in the main court by the ministers and priests who were going over the last details of the coronation ceremony. So no one was available to calm her down. As if sensing her distress Devika visited Gayatri's room and saw her pacing nervously.

She smiled softly and held the arm of Gayatri and sat her down on a chair. Pouring a glass of water she carried it to Gayatri and offered it. Gayatri shook her head negatively indicating that she couldn't stomach anything at the moment due to nervousness. Devika sighed and said, "Mother, you are already Father's wife. Who other than you is suited to the position of Queen? Who in their right mind would dare challenge you? At the ceremony, you just need to speak from the heart and everything will sort itself out. Okay?"

Gayatri thought about her words before nodding solemnly. Devika offered the glass of water again but just as Gayatri was going to take it a maid intervened and took the glass from their hands.

"Little Princess, you should go to the venue. You don't need to worry about Her Majesty. We will take care of her." the maid said to Devika.

Devika nodded slightly and left. As soon as she was gone, the maid threw the water in the glass away. When Gayatri saw this, she yelled, "What do you think you are doing?"

"Your Majesty, it is important that you take care of yourself now. You shouldn't interact with Princess Devika anymore. What if she harms you in some way? She is not your own daughter, you should place importance on bringing your own children in this world. Only then would you be happy and safe." the maid replied.

Gayatri became angry on hearing these words, but before she could scold the maid a priestess had come to her room to take her to the coronation venue. The entire way, Gayatri didn't feel nervous but instead grew angry. The servants who cared about Devika were this fickle then how would the courtiers behave? How would the subjects view her? Devika is not someone disposable, Devika is her daughter. Gayatri made up her mind to demonstrate this to the public.

When the coronation ceremony began, Gayatri recited her oath perfectly without any nervousness. She displayed the regal bearing of a Queen in every way. When the crown was going to be placed on her head, Gayatri requested King Nanda to let Devika place the crown on her head. Nanda acquiesced to her request and Devika placed the crown on Gayatri's head. Gayatri got up and picked Devika up in her arms.

"Thank you my daughter." she said loudly, her voice heavy with emotions.

"Mother!?" Devika replied confused at the emotions in her voice.

This action of Gayatri made it known to public that she considered Devika as her own daughter and no one was to slight her ever due to any reason. The maid who insulted Devika was removed from the palace and forbidden to come back.