12: Game Changer

Devika caught her Father just as he was about to enter the dining area.

"Father" Devika called him, Nanda turned around to see Devika and Guruji walking towards him.

"Greetings Father, How was your day?" Devika asked him politely.

"Greetings Your Majesty." Guruji gave him a bow.

Nanda gestured him to stand up and patted Devika on her head, "It was hectic but I was looking forward to eat the dish cooked by your Princess Aunt, so it passed by real quickly."

"Hehe.. so am I. But Father, I wanted to talk about an important thing with you before we have dinner." Devika said, her face showing her worry.

"What is it little one?" Nanda asked concerned to see her worried.

"Father, I was talking with Guruji about poisons that can be found in common food. I was concerned that if a new chef or someone covertly trying to hurt us uses this method, then they might successfully hurt us." Devika said.

"Then what do you suggest we do?" Nanda asked.

"Excuse me, Your Majesty." Rajni's voice interrupted them, "The dinner is ready. My father is waiting for you. Shall we continue to the dining room?"

King Nanda frowned at the obvious way Rajni had ignored Devika. In fact, she had shown disrespect when she interrupted them. Irritated he wanted to scold her but as he opened his mouth to speak, he felt a tug on his sleeve. Nanda looked down to see Devika signalling him to not say anything.

When he directed a questioning gaze at her, Devika only smiled in reply. Looking at her impish smile, Nanda understood that his daughter was going to do something about this disrespectful woman and so his thoughts cleared leaving behind only mild expectation of watching a show.

King Nanda walked inside the dining room and took his usual place. Devika sat beside him and Gayatri sat on Devika's other side. Soon food was served to them. Nanda noticed that the food served to him was different than the food served to Devika and Gayatri.

"Why am I being served food different than that of Little Princess and Priness Gayatri?" King Nanda's voice boomed in the dining room. Almost at once all the servants stopped moving and stood with their head bowed. Rajni and her father were surprised as they didn't expect the King to care about Devika so much. 'She is just a daughter then why does he care so much about her? Is it because of his affections for her mother? No issue. After our marriage, I will give him a true heir to the throne. He will slowly forget about the little bitch borne by my late cousin.' Rajni thought.

"Why is no one answering me? Princess Gayatri... aren't you in charge of such household matters?" King Nanda questioned her.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty. Today, Miss Rajni locked all the kitchen staff out of kitchen. She made dinner just for you. As such, the kitchen staff made use of makeshift stoves and spare utensils for making food for the people residing in Palace." Gayatri explained.

"Miss Rajni, what is the meaning of this? No one bullies my family in their own home. Explain your actions, at once." King Nanda stated in a grave voice. Everyone became tense at his words and even Devika felt a bit apprehensive.

"Your Majesty, I just wanted to thank you for all that you have done for me." Rajni said ambiguously. She sashayed over to the King Nanda and gave him a smile before continuing, "I see how you care for everyone and I just wanted to do something special just for you. This food is made with lots of love." Devika felt like gagging hearing the sickeningly sweet voice Rajni used. The people present in the dining hall all wore an expression of disgust.

"My beloved daughter has expended a lot of efforts for creating these dishes for you. These dishes are famous in our Kuru Kingdom. We sincerely hope that His Majesty will find this clumsy attempt to his liking." Rajni's father, the Trade Minister of Kuru Kingdom said.

King Nanda just wanted to refuse the food made by her but it would have seemed too rude of him and Rajni was a guest at their Palace even if she was an unwanted one. So he extended his hand towards the plate.

"Father, please stop." Devika interrupted. Everyone turned to look at her.

"Little Princess, please do not disturb your father while eating food. Whatever you need to say can wait until after." Rajni said, her voice betraying her irritation.

"I am just reminding Father of the new rule of the Palace. Any food cooked by a new chef must be tested out first, before the royal family touches it." Devika said.

"Eh.. I haven't heard of any such rule." Rajni replied.

"Why would you know of this rule? You do not stay here. You would hardly know the rules and etiquettes of the Palace of Nala Kingdom. You are not a Princess after all." Gayatri interrupted. She had caught on that Devika wanted to do something and as her aunt she supported Devika in all her actions. She also wanted to pay back Rajni for her comments in the kitchen.

"How... How will you test the food, Your Majesty?" Rajni asked a bit worried.

"Of course, whoever made the food will have to eat it." Devika replied.

"Wha... What?" Rajni asked her eyes going wide.

"Isn't it obvious... if the chef tries to avoid eating the food he cooked in any way then there must definitely be something wrong with it. This is the most logical solution." Devika stated and beckoned a staff member, "Come, serve the food cooked by her to this lady." The staff member moved the plate that was in front of King Nanda to Rajni

A plate filled with the food she had cooked was placed in front of her. Rajni looked towards it and thought, 'The aphrodisiac will start reacting exactly half an hour after ingesting the food. It gives me plenty of time to go to my room and have an antidote for it. I will have it and carry out my plan to bed the King tonight. Perhaps if I skip the antidote and directly approach Nanda that may work as well. After the deed I can even claim that I had ingested the aphrodisiac as well and I will by default be marked as innocent.' Thinking till here, Rajini's hand which was shaking a bit, stopped and she confidently proceeded to eat the food.

Raising an eyebrow, Devika observed her actions silently, hiding her amusement. She glanced at Rewa who was standing just inside the entrance of the dining hall. Rewa gave a miniscule nod and left the room stealthily. This whole action took place without anyone noticing it.

Devika asked, "Aunt did you not make the sweet dish you had promised me?" Her expression was filled with expectations.

Gayatri smiled and replied, "How can I forget something my Little Princess wants? I have cooked enough sweet dish for the entire Palace."

Devika glanced at Gayatri surprised and pleased. The serving staff also had a pleasant smile on their face. A maid quickly brought out bowls filled with sweet milk pudding topped with dry fruits and placed them in front of the diners. Mildly sweet fragrance emitted from the bowls making everyone's stomach rumble. Devika was delighted and she started eating the pudding with gusto. A bowl was placed in front of King Nanda as well. He too started eating it without waiting for the main meal.

"Isn't Princess Gayatri going to test the food first?" Rajni interrupted.

"The rule is only for new cooks. My Princess Aunt cooks for us occasionally. Also she is not a mere chef but a royal family member. I hope that I wouldn't have to remind you of this fact again Miss Rajni." Devika stated her voice authoritative. She subtly placed emphasis on the fact that Rajni was not of royal bloodline.

'Little bitch, wait till I become the Queen. If I don't make your life hell then I would change my family name.' Rajni thought viciously.