6: Start of training

Devika woke up early and donned her training gear which consisted of a long white kurta and white leggings. Her feet were covered in simple black flat soled shoes. Her hair was tied up in a braid. She looked simple yet elegant. The maid who was helping her noted that her demeanor was regal like a Queen.

Devika reached bright and early to the training ground. Her father saw her and came towards her.

"Little Princess, today you are undertaking a new and difficult task. You should strive to complete this task as you have given your word to your Teacher. We as royals have a certain value attached to our words. A Queen's promise is never to be taken lightly and as such you must think twice before you promise anything to the other person." King Nanda advised her.

"I understand, Father." Devika replied.

Nanda nodded and pointed her towards the direction, "Go ahead, your Teacher is waiting for you."

Devika went ahead to see General Abhay. He was standing there conversing with a boy who looked around 10 years old. The boy looked a bit agitated and had a frown on his face. The General was talking calmly. As she was still on a distance, she couldn't hear them. Devika stepped towards them and suddenly as if sensing her, the boy turned around to face her bringing an abrupt end to his conversation.

General Abhay just sighed and gave her a small smile. "This is my son Veer. He will be your training partner." The boy gave his father an exasperated look. It was obvious that he was not interested in training with her.

When the boy turned to look at her, at once Devika was reminded of why she felt that General Abhay felt familiar to her. A memory of the past life started over taking her mind.

Just before she met Prince Bhadra for second time in her past life. Her father had asked her about her feelings about marriage.

"Devika, I have thought of an appropriate groom for you. My friend and our most decorated General Abhay has a son Veer. He has shown solid leadership skills. Most of our subjects are really fond of him. He has helped to defend our boundaries in our war against the invaders. He not only designed a new strategy for attack but also designed a plan for safe extraction of citizens from war zones. I think that if you marry him, both he and you can rule this kingdom together and make it prosperous." King Nanda said, showing her a portrait of their family.

"But Father, he is not the guy in my mind. I do not love him." Devika protested.

"You have someone in mind? Who is he? What does he do? Who are his parents? Tell me quickly." Nanda asked thoroughly surprised.

"Father, do you remember I had rescued a young boy in my childhood? He is actually Prince Bhadra Kumar. I really liked him at that time." Devika explained shyly. Although Devika was a Princess and she had the freedom to choose her groom, the process of explaining it to her father felt awkward and embarrassing.

"But Devika, the Prince was a child at that time. Who knows how he has turned out now?" Nanda reasoned.

Devika nodded and said, "That's why I will be accompanying you to Gauda Kingdom for the 100th year celebration of the formation of their kingdom. We can visit them and see how Prince Bhadra Kumar has turned out after so many years." King Nanda had thought for a while and acquiesced.

The train of thought was broken when the 10 year old boy had bowed formally to her. "Princess Devika." he greeted her.

Devika in turn responded with a smile and said, "Thank you, Veer, for accompanying me in the training. I hope to learn a lot from you and the General."