27: Three years later

Around three years passed after the marriage of King Nanda and Queen Gayatri. Many things happened in these three years. Devika was now proficient with a sword and her archery was not bad either. She had learnt the characteristics of many herbs and was now learning how to create poisonous potions and antidotes for them. Veer was now thirteen years old and he was well on his way to become a strategist himself.

But the best news in these three years was that Gayatri had given birth to a son, who was named Devendra. When Devendra was born, sweets were distributed in the entire capital. The celebrations lasted for a whole week. Nanda and Gayatri were happy to have another child, Devika was happy that there was male heir to the throne. It finally meant that she had successfully cheated her fate. Now that there was a rightful heir to throne, Devika was free to lead her life as wanted. Greedy people would now turn their attention away from her.

Devika doted on her little two year old brother. She fondly called him Dev and was often found playing with him in his room. She ensured his safety by employing the best capable people around him. She gave him the best toys and clothes found in the kingdom. She often ordered the kitchen to make something yummy for him to eat.

King Nanda also wasn't any less than Devika when doting his son. He often tested bodyguards of the little Prince Dev himself. He ensured strict background checks on all the servants of the Palace. He would never allow any harm to befall on his family ever again.

---------------------

It was a hot afternoon when Devika was sitting in the palace library reading up on the strategies used in face of natural disasters. She was absorbed in her reading and a maid was gently fanning her. There was a plate of cut fruits in front of her, from which she occassionally had a bite. The atmosphere was peaceful and relaxing.

But soon the tranquil setting was broken with a patter of small feet running in the library's direction.

"Little Prince, please wait for us. Please do not run in the corridors you might get hurt. Little Prince..." a voice sounded which was followed by a childish giggle and soon the door to the library was pushed open.

A small child of two years, ran towards Devika and held on to her skirt, "Elder Sister... you left me alone." The child complained in a babyish voice to Devika.

Devika hooked her hands under his arms and pulled the child up to sit on a chair besides her. Pushing the plate of fruits towards him she said, "Forgive Elder Sister, Little Dev. Elder Sister is sorry. Elder Sister was bored while you napped and wanted to read a little to alleviate her boredom."

"Okay, Prince Devendra will forgive sister. But Elder Sister must promise to not leave her Little Dev alone ever again." Dev continued to demand.

"Ah... Okay okay.. Little Prince, Elder Sister promises to never leave you alone." Devika indulged him with a smile.

It took only a few words to make the child happy. The servant who was running after him waited outside the library door after making sure that the Prince was safe. Devika again offered the plate of fruits to him. Devendra swung his legs on the chair and cutely pouted. Then he made a gesture for Devika to feed him while he happily looked on. Giving him a mock glare, Devika huffed and then picked up small pieces of fruits to feed the little child.

"Both you Father and Daughter continue to spoil him. If he becomes a lazy person in life it will be your faults entirely." Gayatri's voice sounded.

The brother and sister turned to look at the beautiful woman standing at the door watching them with her hands on her waist. She came towards them and pulled a little on both their ears. It wasn't enough to hurt but Devika grimaced in mock pain. Gayatri frowned a little and let go of her ear immediately.

"Are you hurt Princess?" she asked concerned.

"Mother..." Devika said just a word before moving forward to hug Gayatri.

"No one loves me. Mother only loves Elder Sister." Dev said pouting.

"You little kid... How come you have such a big mouth? Who taught you to act cutely?" Gayatri asked him.

"Elder Sister taught me." Dev replied in a serious voice.

Devika jumped to look at him and said, "Little Prince how can you sell out your Elder Sister so quickly? Now Mother will punish me."

Dev's eyes became round and he said, "No! Mother it wasn't Elder Sister. It wasn't. It wasn't. Don't punish her."

The maids who were holding back their laughter couldn't continue anymore and they burst out laughing. Queen Gayatri laughed as well. Turning to Devika she said, "My Princess, it is time for your antidote training. Your Teacher must be waiting for you. Go quickly and return soon."

Devika nodded turning to Dev she gently patted his head before leaving the library.

----------------------------

"Very good, Princess Devika. You managed to make the sleeping draught quite easily. It seems to be a talent of yours the way you make these things." Guruji commended her, nodding approvingly

'Why wouldn't I be able to make this sleeping draught easily? I spent two weeks in the divine yantra perfecting it. I must have failed atleast 50 times before I finally succeeded.' Devika thought to herself quietly.

The other students who were pitying her, the first time she had failed the herbs test three years ago, now looked at her with envy. They wanted to become as talented as the Princess and hence they strived hard for it. The number of people studying antidotes now had increased by 50%. There had been few who left the class as they were not ready to keep learning but this initiative started by the Princess had slowly gained popularity amongst people in the Palace. For them, it meant a chance where they could escape the life of servant and become a respectable healer or a helper of healer.

Guruji demonstrated the most effective way to use sleeping draughts. He also gave lectures on the correct dosage and administration of the sleeping draught. Guruji gave the demonstration very well but his attention was only half in the class. He often thought back to that particular day when Princess Devika found him and recruited him.

It had been a little over three years since he and his wife came to the capital in Nala Kingdom. He had never expected that he would ever feel safe again or that he would ever consider the royal Palace as home. He had thought that he would have to keep running with his family forever. He was thankful to the Princess for giving him the gift of safety and for that he strove to match the requests of the Princess.