32: Archery Competition

The day of the competition arrived sooner than expected. Abhay escorted Devika and Veer to the competition grounds. He took both of them near the archery set up.

"Devika, check out the targets distance. Don't you think it is less than what we have practiced?" Veer whispered to her.

Devika gauged the distance before nodding to Veer.

"We will be able to win easily." Veer continued whispering to her.

"I don't think so. Even if we manage to hit the target accurately, there must surely be people who are more talented than us. After all almost all children from military households attend this competition." Devika whispered back.

Veer looked at the number of children who were participating. He understood that in a crowd this large even if he did manage to win it wouldn't be an easy win. "You are right. I was getting ahead of myself." Veer replied embarrassed.

"It's okay. Let's just make a good effort. Alright?" Devika encouraged him. Veer nodded and patted her on her back.

"All the best Princess." He wished her luck before moving to stand with his category.

The participants of the contest were divided in age groups of three years each. Devika was in the age of 10 to 12 years and Veer was in the age group of 13 to 15 years. Since it was the competition of archery both men and women participated in the same group and there was no distinction based on gender. The order of competition was age based so they Devika's group was first and they would be followed by Veer's group.

A target was allocated to Devika. She didn't waste time and started arranging her own equipment on the station. She placed all the arrows in a neat row on the table in front of her. She picked up her bow and started to string it. After stringing the bow she checked it once for the strength. Satisfied with her equipment, she stood quietly in the place given to her.

"Move. This is my place." a rude voice called out.

Devika turned around to see a boy of around 12 years standing behind the with his hands on his hips and glaring at  her. Devika raised an eyebrow and without saying anything she turned back focusing her attention on her bow.

"Hey you! I am talking to you. Are you deaf?" the boy continued. Devika usually had bodyguards around her so she didn't have to face such a situation ever. Even when she didn't have the bodyguards people generally knew that she was the Princess of the Kingdom. There had never been a person who gave her such an attitude.

However, Devika was not upset due to this rather she was amused. She was afterall mentally older than him. She didn't bother to reply as she expected someone will straighten him out soon. But she didn't expect that before anyone could say anything, the boy would grab her arm and push her down. Thankfully due to three years of training, Devika was able to keep her footing and not fall on the ground. If she wasn't caught by surprise, the boy wouldn't even be able to move her.

"I said move away." the boy yelled.

"Princess!" multiple voices shouted at the same time.

Veer had been sitting in the area aranged for spectators. He had intended to to observe Devika's competition. Veer quickly strode over and gave the boy a tight slap. The sound of the slap was heard all over and the arena fell silent.

"Are you alright Princess?" Veer asked her gently. He took her arm and saw if any mark has been left by the boy.

"Who is that boy? Doesn't he know that it is the princess he tried to harm?"

"How can he be so naive?"

"He is Akash, the legitimate son of General Surya."

"Isn't General Surya someone who does not hold any respect for women? What would he think of this?"

"Yes. It seems that he has taught the same thing to his son."

Devika heard people around them whispering. Devika gently pulled her arm back from Veer's grip.

"Do you know who I am?" Devika asked the boy.

"Forgive me, Princess. I didn't realise who you are. I will chose another spot for myself." the boy replied.

"You just pushed the Princess and you expect that saying sorry would be enough? It seems the general has not taught you anything." Veer replied.

The boy was shivering badly. Devika thought for a minute.

"How about a little contest of our own?" Devika asked.

The boy stopped shivering and looked up he asked hesitatingly, "What... what do you mean by a contest Your Highness?"

"It is quite simple really. If in this challenge you score more marks than me, then I'll let you go without any repercussions of today's matter. However, if you score lower then you will have to start your training under General Abhay. Is the deal agreeable to you?" Devika asked.

"How does that benefit you?" the boy asked suspicious.

"I trained under General Abhay and I will be able to see you get scolded each day." Devika replied with a smirk.

"Okay. I will take on the bet." the boy said irritated by her taunting smirk.

"Clear the area. We have a challenge given and accepted. Clear the area soon." Veer commanded. His Father, General Abhay, who had been talking with a couple of friends he met in the arena, came to witness Devika placing the challenge. He saw General Surya standing nearby as well. Apparently General Surya also came just now and witnessed Princess challenging his son.

General Abhay decided to wait and see what the Princess would do and then act accordingly. She had placed the bet quite cleverly, even if she lost there will be no significant damage to her reputation. However, if she won then this match would be responsible for the increase of General Abhay's reputation. He would be hailed as a better teacher than General Surya. It was her tribute to General Abhay as a student of his. Whatever would be the outcome of the challenge General Abhay was already proud of Devika. She had kept her head cool and made this challenge after giving it some thought.

On the other hand Veer had lost his composure and reacted violently in front of the military people. This incident would actually give people a chance to talk about Veer and his lack of control on his emotions. Since the crowd were of military background, this kind of gossip about Veer posed harm to his career. General Abhay made a note to himself that he had to talk to his son on what happened today.