25: The Truth

Gayatri was sitting in her parlor room, when her mother, the Queen of Kuru Kingdom, Vaishali, came to meet her.

"Sweetheart, how have you been?" Vaishali asked her younger daughter. She had two daughters and one son. She had always been blessed by God. She had a full and happy life. She was the Queen of a kingdom, her husband was faithful to her, she bore three kids including the heir. Her eldest daughter was married to a King. Her younger daughter was set to be engaged and her son was set to inherit the throne. Everything was going on nicely until her eldest daughter died.

The day they received the news of her eldest daughter's death was a black day in all their lives. Her husband stopped smiling and her son threw himself into work. Her younger daughter faced the worst of it. Gayatri put her life on hold, broke off her engagement and stayed in Nala Kingdom to ensure safe upbringing of the little devil who was the reason her eldest daughter died.

Even when the family clamored to bring Gayatri back, she argued with them and threatened to break the relations just so she could stay back in Nala Kingdom. Indeed the child of her eldest daughter was nothing but a calamity for their family.

A few days back, a wierd letter cam from her younger daughter. In the letter, it was stated that Rajni, her niece, had tried to seduce him by using harmful drugs. It was further written that she was killed by the son-in-law for this crime and her father was sent back imprisoned. They had made this journey to Nala Kingdom order to give an explanation to their son-in-law.

When she saw the child of her eldest daughter, she was incensed but had calmed herself down and had simply chose to ignore her. Now that she met her younger daughter, there was a slight relief felt to her heart. She held on to Gayatri, and let a few tears escape her eyes.

"We missed you so much." Vaishali continued.

"I missed you as well Mother. How is my little brother? Is he finally ready for his coronation ceremony?" Gayatri asked her.

"Yes, yes, he is fine. Everyone back at home is fine. Sweetheart, why don't you come back home?" Vaishali said with some hope in her voice.

"Mother, I am sorry. I really troubled you, didn't I? Forgive this wayward daughter of yours." Gayatri said sadness in her voice.

"Don't... Don't say no just like that. At least come back for the coronation ceremony..." Vaishali said.

"I will. How can I miss the coronation ceremony of my little brother? I just wish that eldest sister was here. She would have been so happy for him." Gayatri said fervently.

"I wish for the same thing. But no amount of wishing is going to bring her back." a voice sounded from the door. Mahendra came in and patted his younger daughter's head lightly. "If only your sister was alive today, everything would have been perfect. But I guess sometimes bad things are meant to happen." he sighed.

"What bad things are meant to happen? It is all because of that evil child. If she hadn't been born, my daughter would still be alive today." Vaishali said angrily.

"Mother what are you talking about? Elder sister was killed by Rajni. Rajni gave elder sister poison so that she dies along with the child. If anyone is to be blamed here, it is only Rajni and her father, who knew about it." Gayatri said with frustration.

"What are you talking about? Rajni poisoned your eldest sister?" Mahendra asked Gayatri in surprise.

"Yes. Why are you surprised? Didn't Gayatri write a letter to you about it?" Nanda asked. Everyone turned to find him standing at the entrance of the room.

King Nanda had went to meet his in-laws when the soldier at their door pointed him in the direction of Gayatri's parlor room. Just as he was about to enter, he heard what Gayatri said and also his father-in-law's confusion on it. Finally unable to hold himself back, he entered the parlor room.

"Gayatri's letter only told how Rajni wanted to seduce you by using harmful drugs. She stated that Rajni was killed and her father sent to us in imprisonment due to this." King Mahendra replied.

"What? No, I had clearly stated in letter that Rajni tried to harm His Majesty but failed and in this process she confessed to her crimes of the past. Her father knew about the assassination and that's why she was killed while he was sent to you in imprisonment." Gayatri stated.

"Then, it means that the letters got changed. But how is that possible? I had sealed the letter with my personal insignia." Gayatri said puzzled by this.

"It means that there is someone untrustworthy at your side, Gayatri. It has to be someone who has access to your insignia. We must conduct a thorough investigation." King Nanda stated gravely.

"You are right, Your Majesty. It was me who changed the letters sent by Princess Gayatri." a maid who was standing besides Gayatri suddenly spoke. Everyone turned towards her in surprise.

"You! How dare you? You served my eldest sister before me. How... Was it also you who helped Rajni to poison my sister?" Gayatri yelled, pointing at her.

"Yes, Your Highness. For the first time in your life you spoke smartly." the maid continued maliciously.

"You... We will have you killed for this offence." King Nanda roared at her.

"No, Your Majesty. You will let me go peacefully." saying this much that maid quickly grabbed Gayatri's hand and pulled her closer to place a knife on her neck.

"Gayatri!!!" King Nanda yelled his heartbeats almost stopping in fear.

"Sweetheart!"

"No!"

Her parents shouted as well.

"King Nanda, get yourself away from the door. Now!" the maid yelled. She started moving towards the door, dragging Gayatri along with her. Gayatri tried to struggle but the maid's grip was stronger and the knife also pressed in her neck ruthlessly when she struggled.

"Don't move, Princess Gayatri. Your beautiful neck might just bear a scar if you keep moving." the maid said angrily. She had managed to pull Gayatri near the door and was slowly backing out the door.

Thunk

A sound was heard suddenly and the maid dropped to the floor unconscious. Gayatri moved aside to reveal Devika standing with a metal flower vase in her hand.

"Aunty..." Devika said as her eyes filled with tears. Looking at her tears, Gayatri quickly ran to hold her in her arms.

Immediately King Nanda called for guards. He ran towards them and without any regards for anyone, he held both Gayatri and Devika in his arms. The guards quickly came and arrested the maid lying unconscious on the floor.

Even after the maid was dragged away. Devika, Gayatri and Nanda kept hugging each other. They looked like a beautiful family of three, where the father was hugging his wife and daughter. No one said anything as they didn't want to break the beautiful scene. King Mahendra glanced at his wife Vaishali. She saw him looking at her and glanced back. Both of their eyes held understanding.

Finally King Nanda raised his head. His eyes showed tear tracks. "I thought I lost you." King Nanda whispered.

"Your Majesty?" Gayatri whispered back.

"I didn't realise... that you had carved your place in my heart. I thought I felt affection towards you because of my Queen. But these past seven years, by taking care of both Devika and me, you long became a part of this family and my life. Today, when you were placed in danger and I was unable to save you; I felt fear like I had felt when I lost my Queen. Gayatri will you give me the privilege of becoming my wife?" King Nanda asked her.

"I... I don't know what to say." Gayatri mumbled, completely shy. Her cheeks reddened.

"Accept it, Aunty. You belong here in the palace, in our lives and in our hearts. Will you become my Mother?" Devika spoke up suddenly. Both Nanda and Gayatri jumped in surprise. They had forgotten about Devika. Their faces reddened under her teasing gaze.