44| Alarm

Two weeks after the "stalking" incident, my relationship with Jax still hadn't improved very much. We weren't quite as hostile with each other, but it was still far from what it used to be.

I had found that keeping my distance from Jax was the only thing that kind of helped me to move on... a feat that was rather difficult considering close proximity was literally in his job description, especially now.

After talking with Chief, Jax had told me that the stalking incident was most likely unrelated to the mob. However, nobody was completely sure, and nobody had a way of finding out; at least not yet.

Because of this, I went nowhere without Jax; not even to the dining hall. Heck, I didn't even go downstairs to do my laundry without him anymore.

But, once classes were over each day, we remained in our separate rooms until we needed to grab dinner. Even then, we usually got it to go, so that we could return to staying away from each other. To me, it felt like torture. The only bright side was that he wasn't sick anymore, and I never ended up catching whatever it was he came down with; probably due to our complete lack of physical touch.

As if things could get any worse, Hannah was also growing increasingly curious about the relationship between Jax and I, and honestly, I couldn't blame her. She didn't understand why I continued to spend every waking moment with Jax if we were supposed to be fighting. Why was he coming to the dining hall with us? Why was he coming with me to do laundry? Why was he coming with us to the gym?

I understood her questioning... I just didn't know how to answer her.

Not being able to go anywhere without Jax glued to my side was kind of straining on our roommate relationship. Not only was he always with me when we were supposed to be exes, but I often found myself declining Hannah's invites. I needed to have Jax by my side now... I couldn't exactly participate in a ladies night at the moment.

In fact, I had declined the invite tonight to go with her to happy hour with some of her girl friends. Because the restaurant they were going to was small, I didn't want Jaxon to have to stand outside in order to not be seen. Normally, he would have been fine, but the weather was absolute shit tonight.

A thunderous boom echoed outside, sounding as if it was bouncing off the walls of my small dorm room. I pulled my sweatshirt tighter around my body, trying my best to focus on the show I was watching.

I wished Hannah had stayed in tonight. I could have really used the company, and I wasn't about to text Jax.

Goosebumps coated my skin, and I curled into a ball on my futon. I was trying my best to hold myself together, but it just wasn't the same as being held by Jaxon. A tear sprung from my eyes as another thunder cracked the sky.

I could picture my mom's shimmering blonde hair as she looked over her shoulder, my sister's perfect smile as she showed me the new purse she got, and the headlights of the other car just seconds before it collided with us.

A knock at the door pulled me abruptly from my thoughts, causing me to jump. I took my blanket with me as I stood, holding it tight around my shoulders as I made my way over to the door, swinging it open without hesitation.

My breath caught as Jaxon materialized in my doorway. It had been a while since he dropped by my room unannounced.

His hair was slightly tousled, like he had been running his hands through it, and his long-sleeved black shirt clung tightly to his sculpted frame. I wasn't sure what to say to him as his icebreaker eyes searched my face, alight with concern.

"What are you doing here?" I finally asked.

"There's a thunder storm..." he said, running a hand over the back of his neck. "I know Hannah doesn't get back until late tonight since she does happy hour after work, and I wanted to check on you."