20| Hold Me Steady

Unfortunately, I barely saw Hannah for the rest of the week; She came in and out, but it wasn't like I wanted to sit her down and have a deep conversation about how her boyfriend sucks while she was rushing to get to work.

Now, the weekend was already here, and she headed off to Drayden's house for the weekend before I even got back from my last class on Friday evening. Part of me wondered if she was avoiding me. Maybe she was embarrassed that Jax and I had witnessed that kind of behavior from her boyfriend; not that it was her fault. But, since I'd moved in, she hasn't been gone this long without at least checking in or trying to make a plan with me.

I stretched out my arms, getting ready to get up for the day. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but Jax told me yesterday he had an idea. I made my way to the bathroom, brushing my teeth and taking a quick shower before returning to my own dorm. I pulled out my phone, seeing that I already had a text from Jax.

Mason: Let me know when you're ready.

I was quick to type a reply.

Skyler: I'm almost ready; what should I wear? I don't know the plan.

Mason: Doesn't really matter but i'd probably go comfy; probably close toed shoes.

I decided on wearing some leggings, a white tank top, and an oversized flannel. I just hoped that it would be okay for whatever we were doing. I wasn't sure why Jax didn't want to tell me, but I went along with it. I liked a surprise sometimes.

I met him in the hallway, taking in the jeans and black t-shirt he was wearing. I loved when he wore his black t-shirt. If possible, it made his arm muscles look even bigger and more defined. We both made our way down, taking the elevator, as it hadn't had any problems since we were stuck the other week.

Jax already had an Uber waiting when we got downstairs, and I waited in anticipation until we finally stopped in front of a large building. It wasn't until I exited the Uber that I realized what this place was.

"Shooting range?" I read the sign, stopping in my tracks.

"Yeah; you said you wanted to learn, remember?"

I nodded. I did remember saying that; though, now that I was here, I was having second thoughts.

"Come on; it's gonna be okay."

"Um... I don't know if I'm ready for this today..."

He grabbed my hand in his, walking us both into the building.  "You're okay; I'm going to be with you the entire time."

My mouth was incredibly dry, but I found myself swallowing anyway in a nervous gesture. "Okay."

I zoned out as Jax paid for various target posters, and guns of different sizes. One looked like a hand gun, but the other looked like a bigger rifle; one that sat against your shoulder.

I shuddered at the sight. The men that killed Mr. Solara were holding shotguns, like the one Jax was holding now; like the one he kept in his waistband at all times.

Once paid for, the man at the counter took our guns to the bay we would be shooting at while Jax and I stood outside to put on our headphones and glasses. I could hear faint sounds of bullets on the other side of the door from other people at the range. I tried to calm my breathing.

"This is fine... it's a shooting range; people do this for fun. Nobody is aiming at you..." My subconscious chanted on repeat.

I slid my glasses on, letting Jax place my headphones over my ears and tighten them.

"Ready?" he asked. He sounded muffled through my headphones, but I could read his lips.

I nodded, though I wasn't sure I actually felt ready.