12| First Days

The rest of the campus tour was okay. Hannah had done a nice job of showing us the ins and outs  of this place, and I felt confident that Jax and I would be able to find our classes with ease tomorrow. Besides, we had the same class schedule so if I forgot, I was sure Jax would be able to get us there.

As the tour progressed, I found myself opening up a little more to Blake and Hannah; they were both nice and outgoing, which made it easy for me to make small talk with them. Jaxon, on the other hand, remained silent. I wasn't sure what killed his mood, but he really wasn't being very social, and I found myself growing irritated by him.

Hannah had said that she had an assignment she wanted to finish up, so she dipped from the tour early and headed to the library while Blake, Jax, and I walked back to our dorm. It felt kind of awkward with the three of us after Hannah left, and I really didn't like it. It was like cold, professional Jaxon was here for no reason after he was being so nice this morning. I tried my best to continue talking with Blake while trying to ignore the strange vibe I was getting from Jax.

Finally, we arrived back and I just wanted to lay down. My body was starting to hurt pretty badly again since my ibuprofen was wearing off, and the full affects of whiplash were coming back to haunt me. After all, this whole incident had happened less than 2 full days ago; I wasn't sure I should even be walking around as much as I had been.

However, I knew I wouldn't be able to rest easy without asking Jax what was wrong. Irritated by him or not, he was still my bodyguard and I did care what he thought of me. Especially since we had no choice but to spend most of our time glued together and all of our time in close proximity. I grabbed hold of Jax's hand, stopping him from following Blake back into his own room.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" I asked. I tried to ignore how much I liked the feel of his hand in mine and released my grip immediately.

Jax nodded, following me into my room which we now had to ourselves. "What is up with you?" I blurted once he closed the door.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"You've barely said a word since the coffee shop; are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine. It was just hard to get a word in between the 3 of you," he said, not bothering to look me in the eyes.

"That's definitely not true," I accused. There were plenty of moments for Jax to join in on the conversation and he didn't. "I mean, was it me? Did I slip up and say something I shouldn't have? Because if I did you should tell me. It's hard for me to know what's okay to say and what's not and I'm still learning... so if I did say something wrong I wasn't trying to piss you off..." I rambled.

"Hey," Jax cut me off, reaching out a hand as if he was going to touch me but seemingly changing his mind. "No Emery; you didn't do anything wrong. I was just a little taken aback by how forward Blake was being with you. You can't be with him... you know that, right?"

I blinked, stunned by this revelation. I had thought that maybe Jax was jealous of Blake's flirtation with me for some reason... but maybe he was just upset because it was against some kind of WPP protocol for me to date his roommate. "Oh... so that's what you looked so mad about? That he bought my coffee?"

"No... I wasn't mad," Jax scoffed, "I was more uncomfortable knowing that you and I would need to have this conversation. You can't date my roommate. He's too close to the situation and it could compromise your safety."