11| Coffee Bean

Waking up the next morning, I felt a lot of things. I was still scared and emotionally taxed from the events of the last two days, I was physically sore from the whiplash and gunshot wound, I was nervous about beginning my new life, I missed my dad and friends, and surprisingly, I was excited to see Jax again.

I looked over to Hannah's lofted bed, noting she was still sleeping. I pulled my phone out from under my pillow and lit up my screen. God, my body hurt so bad. I felt like I got hit by a truck. I didn't know how easily I'd be able to get down from my bed when I could barely even move my arm. I figured it would probably loosen up throughout the day like it did yesterday, but as of now I felt absolutely terrible.

Just then, before I could send anything, my phone lit up with a text from Jax:

Mason: what's your plan for today?

Well good morning to you too, I thought.

Skyler: I think Hannah wanted to show me around campus- she mentioned last night maybe going to a coffee shop?

I heard Hannah come in from work last night. We talked briefly before both falling asleep and she had mentioned a few different places she wanted to show me today. First stop on the list, a coffee shop called "The Coffee Bean." I actually was pretty excited about it. I loved coffee and discovering new coffee shops, and it also felt normal- like something I would have done before all of this happened.

Mason: See if Blake and I can come with.

Skyler: okay- I'll ask her when she wakes up. Where did you put the bottle of ibuprofen?

Jax was the one who unpacked most of my stuff yesterday- looking around the room I didn't see it, and my body hurt too bad to get up and search.

Mason: I think I put it on your desk. Are you alright? Need me to come help you with anything?

Skyler: I don't know. My body hurts really bad- I can barely move my arm. Getting down from my bed might be hard but once I get my ibuprofen I'll be okay.

Mason: I'm coming to help you- hold on.

My heart jumped. I didn't want him to do that; I was sure I could handle it by myself. Making him come help me out of bed made me feel helpless- not that I haven't been helpless since we've met. This just seemed too simple of a task to bother him with.

I was about to text him back when I heard the door knob wiggling. I didn't know how he was gonna get in. Our door was locked, but that didn't appear to be an issue as he strolled in only seconds later.

He was so handsome- he looked like he had been up for a while as his hair was damp from a shower and he was already dressed in jeans and a white t shirt. I was almost embarrassed by my messy, slept-in pony tail, oversized sweatshirt, and cotton shorts.

I sat up slowly on my bed, smothering a groan of pain as to not wake up Hannah. Jaxon walked over to the ladder of my bed, gesturing for me to scoot closer to him.

I moved slowly and painfully toward the end of my bed, keeping my sore arm still and tucked close to my body. When I got to the edge, Jaxon had his arms reached up to me, placing his hands on either side of my waist.

"You ready?" He whispered. I was nervous that he was gonna drop me, surprised by the sudden weight the second I leave the bed; or that the process of being lifted would hurt even without being dropped. But, I also knew that climbing down myself would have been nearly impossible and I was supposed to trust Jax.

Realizing I hesitated too long, I finally nodded, placing my good arm on his broad shoulder.

I leaned forward, sliding off the bed as Jax lifted me by my hips, he pressed me to the front of his body and backed away from the ladder to set me down. He made it look so effortless as he set me down gently onto my feet.