3| Witness

I woke up the next morning to several drunk texts from Mel, and a few from Landon.

Mel: Omg Emmmm! Landon jus ask about you. He thinks you're smokin.

Mel: Henry just hit on me! should I go for it? I think I'm gonna go for it.

Mel: I went for it! Thanks for the support! Wish you were

Mel: Srry. I hit send lol oooop I drunk. I wish you were here. Say hi to your dad for me!

Landon: Hey beautiful. Miss you tonight.

Landon: Hi boo... let's get drinks tomorrow?

I sighed, setting my phone down beside me. I wanted to attend the party, I did, but I just couldn't leave my dad yesterday. As I laid in bed staring at the ceiling, I wasn't so sure I wanted to leave him tonight either.

Although it's been years, and we were both okay, last nights conversation was difficult. I could see how broken up my dad still was— not that I blamed him. It was hard enough for me losing a mother and sister. I couldn't imagine finding a love like my parents had, and then losing that one person who made you whole. Not to mention your own daughter as well. Not to be super depressing, but I could just tell from last night how lonely my dad was, and as much as he tried to hide it, I knew him too well.

Finally, after wallowing in my thoughts a little longer, I decided to peel my body out of bed and make my way to the shower.

I needed this. The hot water cascaded over my body, relaxing the muscles I didn't even realize were tense. I let my thoughts wander, thinking of what I could do to cheer up my dad. Again, I knew he'd be okay, but I decided to stay another night, and I wanted to do something special for him. I wanted him to know how much I love and appreciate him.

I had just slipped on a comfy pair of shorts and loose-fitting, white, t-shirt when my phone lit up with an incoming phone call from Mel.

"Hey! Glad to hear your alive," I greeted into the phone.

"Ha. Ha." Mel replied. "I feel like shit."

"Well, that just means you did it right!" I chuckled, "Drink lots of water today. How was the party?"

"It was really fun! Wish you were there, though."

"I know; I do too. How was it with Henry?" I asked.

"He's great! I'm not sure how I never noticed before, but he's such a nice guy and he really is cute; at least think so."

"Yeah I agree! I think you two would actually be great together. You probably never noticed before because you are always so invested in the relationship between Landon and I."

"True. Speaking of... he was asking about you a lot last night. I really think you should give him a chance!"

I let out a sigh. I knew he was a great guy, but I just couldn't get there. "Mel... You know I've tried. I just don't feel that way about him."

"Fineee. You should come back to college tonight so we can hang out. Movie night, just you and I! I'll get sea salt vinegar chips and Kit-Kats," she offered.

"Ughhhh, that's so tempting. Those definitely fall into my top 10 movie night snacks. But, I think I'm going to stay here just one more night. It's only Saturday. I will be back Sunday and we can do something next weekend. Promise."

"Okay; I understand... So, how are you?"

"I...I'm okay," I stated.

"Mmmhmm," she replied, not totally convinced. "How's your dad?"