8| Identities and Information

I must have fallen asleep again in the car; I wasn't sure for how long, but boy was my dream intense.

When my eyes finally fluttered open, all I saw was a man's face hovering in front of me. Since my dream was so incredibly violent and I had been in such a deep sleep, I couldn't register what was happening, or that the man I was looking at was Jaxon and not an attacker/shooter.

Without thinking, I struck out with my good arm and kicked my legs, fighting off my assailant.

The man caught my fist as it flew, but the momentum sent me tumbling sideways out of the vehicle until I was seized around my waist.

"Woah woah! Emery, it's me!" Jaxon called as he caught me and held me to his body to stop me from fighting. He held on tight while I was eased from the car and placed gently onto the ground.

Immediately, I snapped back into reality and let my body sink into his large, sturdy frame. "Jaxon? Oh god... I am so sorry! Did I hurt you?"

I felt Jaxon chuckle slightly as he steadied me on my feet; a sound I never thought I'd hear coming from his lips. I turned to face him as he spoke, noting the amused expression on his face. "You didn't hurt me. Are you okay?"

"Yes. Sorry... it was just a bad dream," I admitted, "I didn't mean to react so strongly."

Jaxon nodded as he finally released me from his grip. "Don't be sorry; I have to admit, I'm a little impressed."

I let out a sigh of relief; I was kind of embarrassed to have reacted so strongly. "Impressed?" I asked.

He nodded, "Yeah. It's nice to know you've got some fight in you; that was a decent punch."

I couldn't help but smile just a little at his approval. Clearly, he was in a good mood again. "Well... thanks I guess," I replied while straightening out my sweatshirt. "So, is this it?"

"Yes. Let's go," he replied, turning away from me to head into the small building ahead. I had to admit, I really thought it would be bigger.

I stumbled along after him, tying to mentally prepare for what was about to happen. "So... what should I expect here?"

"Did you not pay attention to what the chief said?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow in my direction.

I supposed cold professional Jaxon was back. "Seriously? Sorry I can't remember everything I was told last night; I kind of had my life turned upside down," I snapped.

"It was just a question. I was just asking so I know what you remember before telling you things you already know," he stated flatly.

"Just say it all; I don't mind hearing things twice," I said, feeling kind of bad for snapping. Truthfully, I needed him to say it all because I couldn't recall a single detail of what happens here. I wasn't about to let Jaxon know that though.

He nodded and began explaining all of the details to me. By the time he had finished, we were already inside the small building and being separated.

"Emery," a tall brunette woman greeted me with a warm smile, "I'm Laurie. You're going to come with me today and I'll fill you in on everything you need to know. Jaxon is going with Cal and then the two of you will reconvene when you're finished."

I nodded at the woman, but I also found myself looking to Jaxon for approval. I guess I had just assumed that as my bodyguard he would be required to stay by my side at all times; but then again, we were surrounded with FBI at the moment.

He gave me a nod and sent me off with a wave of his hand, and I was immediately lead down a hallway, just Laurie and I. It was strange; I felt oddly exposed without him beside me, even though I knew I could trust Laurie.