18| Stuck

"Come on Sky... pleaaassseee?" Hannah whined as she swiped more eyeshadow across her lid.

"I can't; I'm sorry!" I said, throwing my hands up in surrender. "Last time you convinced me to go to a party, I got wayyyy too drunk, got fondled by a frat boy, and I really pissed off Mason."

"Screw Mason. You can do what you want. I like him, but he doesn't own you."

Hannah didn't know the half of it. When I accidentally let it slip to her that Jax was pissed at me, I couldn't exactly tell her it was because he was my bodyguard and I ditched him. So, I improvised the best way I knew how, and I told her he was jealous when he found me sitting on Ben's lap. Oops.

Jax was a good sport about it though. I thought for sure he would give me more shit about my implying that he had any feelings for me—but he didn't. He agreed that it was a good cover and said he would just have to act more into me from now on; what that all entailed, I wasn't sure.

"I know he doesn't, but either way I think I'm going to pass tonight. I'm exhausted after cramming all week for that Calc exam."

That's right— we had our first calculus exam. I tried my best, but ultimately, I'd be happy with a D just as long as I passed. Jaxon and I had several late nights at the library this week and the fact that I was feeling drained was the farthest thing from a lie. Jaxon seemed tired too, and his fuse was noticeably shorter with me this week.

Some of it was still due to him being pissed off about my terrible choices two weeks ago, the other was probably because he was my math tutor, and he may as well have been speaking Chinese because I wasn't catching on. Heck, if I were him, I'd be sick of me too.

Therefore, we both agreed to just do our own thing tonight; meaning, we were going to do nothing in separate rooms. If I had plans, he automatically had to come with me, or at least be nearby. Besides, Jaxon's feelings aside, I didn't want to go to this party. It took me a few days to kick my hangover from the last one, and I'd sooner take 50 calculus exams than piss off Jax again. I owed him one.

"Fine. But just know I hate you for bailing."

I chuckled. "I'm not bailing, I'm simply declining the invite."

She stood up from her desk chair, pulling down her blue party dress that barely covered her ass. "So, what are you gonna do tonight then?"

I shrugged, "Probably binge watch The Vampire Diaries and eat a butt ton of pasta that I'll get at the dining hall?"

Hannah smiled, slinging her purse over her shoulder. "Damn— I'm almost tempted to stay home now. Sounds like a great night."

I smiled back at her, propping my head up on my hands as I peered down at her from my bed. "Right? Be safe tonight and call me if you need anything."

With a noncommittal wave of her hand, Hannah was off and I was left to myself.

This may have been the first time in the few months that I'd been here that I didn't hate being alone. Although I still missed my dad like crazy, and I was worried every day about my safety and his, things hadn't been so bad here.

I settled into my bed, pulling up Netflix on my laptop to make good on my plans. After the first two episodes, my stomach began to growl. I immediately took out my phone, shooting off a quick text to Jax.

Skyler: I'm starving.

Mason: and what do you want me to do about it?

Skyler: I'm going to the dining hall. Can't go without you :)

Mason: meet you in the hall.

I was quick to jump down from my bed, throwing a sweatshirt over my baby blue fitted tank top. It was part of my new pajama set, and I was wearing the matching shorts as well. I stuffed my feet into my slides before joining Jaxon in the hallway.