49| Ghost Town

Surprisingly, the next morning, I woke up feeling more content than I had in over a month, because I woke up in Jaxon's arms.

Not only that, but I couldn't stop replaying last night in my mind. Not the terrifying day, but the night... filled with passion and bliss.

I wasn't sure how or if the sex was going to change our relationship, but I could only imagine that any change would be for the better. I loved this man with all my heart; I just wished we could relish in it.

But unfortunately, because of the shooting, I knew we didn't have the time for that.

I was awake first, and I took the opportunity to study Jaxon's handsome face as he slept. It was rare that I was ever up before him, so I really hadn't ever had the opportunity to observe his features up close like this. Well, without him noticing at least.

His tan skin looked so smooth, though it looked like he hadn't shaved his face in a little while because his dark stubble was visible on the sharp angles of his jawline. His full lips were slightly parted as he breathed quietly and steadily. I ran my eyes up to look at his. With the striking beauty of his eye color hidden behind his eyelids, I noticed just how long his eyelashes actually were.

It wasn't fair really, how he had nicer lashes than me. Honestly, I just didn't think anyone deserved to look this handsome in general; let alone have a nice personality? It was a rare find indeed.

He looked peaceful as he slept, but I also noticed the dark circles under his eyes. He must have been exhausted too after the events as of late.

I wasn't sure what it was like to be a bodyguard, but I'd imagine it had to be up there as far as stressful jobs went. He was constantly on alert, constantly worrying, and I'm sure the worry only increased as his feelings for me grew.

God, did I love him.

I trailed my eyes up again, looking at the small scar that made him look intimidating, despite the fact that it didn't come with any cool backstory.

I should probably let him sleep, and yet...

I leaned forward, placing a light kiss on his scar. I had been wanting to do that all morning.

The corners of his lips twitched, and before I knew what was happening, he was wrapping his arms around me, crushing me to his warm, bare chest.

I giggled, snuggling into him, "Good morning."

"Morning, beautiful," he replied, his voice raspy with sleep. "Did you sleep okay?"

I nodded against his chest. "Surprisingly, yes. I haven't slept that good in a long time."

He placed a kiss against the top of my head. "That's good; I was worried you would have nightmares after what happened..."

"I was nervous too," I replied, "but I guess I just feel so safe with you, that my body knew it could relax."

"You are safe with me," he agreed.

"Do we need to get up?" I complained, "I would much rather stay in this bed with you all day."

"I wish we could," he sighed, "but we should probably get moving. I got a call from Chief this morning when you were sleeping, and I need to fill you in and then call him back. Besides, I'm sure Hannah is worried about you."

"Shit, Hannah," I groaned, "I texted her yesterday to let her know we were okay, but I forgot to tell her we were going to stay the night at Aarons."

"I'm sure she figured it out since lockdown was never lifted last night," he said. "Speaking of," he paused, sitting up a little so that he could grab his phone off the nightstand. "It was lifted at 3 AM. Classes are cancelled for the rest of the week though."