15

"With how slow you were going it's a miracle we were able to check out on time without a fine," Kaden commented to Jason as they finished bringing their luggage outside. Well, it was mostly Jason doing the work. "They really just love getting money from kids, don't they?" 

  When Jason placed the last of Kaden's many suitcases by his person, the other boy turned to him and playfully reached for his wallet. "Thanks, busboy. Would you like a tip?" 

   Jason gave a blank stare at Kaden's attempt at humour. He then quirked an eyebrow, a small smirk playing at his lips and gave a quick nod at the offer.

 The blond boy scoffed, "You wish."

   Jason continued to look at him, face hard and unchanging. His arms folded across his chest and his biceps bulged in the position. Kaden tried not to notice them. 

"Long, you can't be serious... it was a joke."

 He stared. 

  Kaden squinted at his friend and in an attempt to avoid having a knife pulled on him or something, he sighed and relented, slightly annoyed, "Alright, but I only have a twenty. You got any change?"

  Jason shook his head and then gestured with an outstretched hand for Kaden to give him the twenty-dollar bill. 

  Kaden's jaw dropped at his audacity.

   "Oh, look, my step-mom is here. Looks like we gotta go now," Kaden said, happy for the aversion. He knew Jason wouldn't want to swindle him of his money in front of Mrs Aldridge who was there to pick them up from their university and bring them to their respective homes. 

   It was something Kaden definitely wasn't used to. His mother had passed when he was much younger, so there was not much about her that he remembered. His memories of her replayed mostly in his sleep but he discounted them as odd fever dreams. Apart from that, he didn't really think about her. There was not much in his home that would remind him of her anyway. 

  His father was somewhat distant and was always preoccupied with work in an attempt at building a multimillion-dollar company, which so far was working. It wasn't that his father didn't care about him, Kaden knew he did, he just wasn't around much. Growing up he found more of a parental figure in nannies, chauffeurs and housekeepers, so he had yet to get used to Mrs Alridge's soft and affectionate motherly ways. 

   "Kady," she greeted the blond boy who stood, leaning on one of his crutches. He sent his step-mother a lazy smile as she wrapped her arms around him in a hug. Kaden didn't miss the faint smirk on Jason's face at the nickname. (When you spend years being friends with a boy who rarely shows emotion, it's easier to pick up on the subtle things.)

  "Hi, Rebecca," he said after lightly tapping her back in their embrace. She lifted a perfectly arched eyebrow at him and he was quick to correct himself, "Becky."

   "Jason, hi! It's been a while, how are you?" she greeted the brooding figure who had been standing silently beside Kaden.

    She reached for a hug but Jason noticed this and before she could get to, he took one of her outstretched hands gently and shook it with a nod of his head to indicate he was doing well. 

  "Ah, I apologise," Rebecca rubbed at her arm, a slight blush coating her cheeks at the embarrassment of being rejected, "I forgot about the whole... yeah."

   "Um if you guys are done being weird, my cast is itchy and I think I might get athlete's foot after this," Kaden butted in to diffuse the awkwardness in the situation. 

  "Okay, yeah. Let's get you guys home and you to a doctor, Kady," Rebecca perked up almost immediately and she took two of the suitcases in either hand. 

  "Jason, you're gonna be staying with us for lockdown, correct?" 

Jason gave her another nod as Kaden's eyes went big. That was a bit of information he wished he had known.