21

In a matter of minutes, Jason was placing a large stack of scrumptious-looking pancakes in front of the two and Kaden nearly sighed with longing. He looked up at his friend to thank him before his eyes wandered to the counters of the kitchen where he spotted multiple eggshells. Kaden gasped, attracting the attention of both Rebecca and the chef himself. 

   "Long, those are eggs!" he exclaimed, earning a deadpan look from the subject of his concern.

"Yes," the taller boy responded as if his friend was losing his mind from apparent starvation. 

"You're allergic to eggs! Why are you cooking with them?" Kaden moved the plate of pancakes away from Jason. He silently ridiculed himself for the stupidity of his actions, like keeping the pancakes from Jason would even do anything after all his previous exposure to it. 

  "I can cook with them... I just can't eat them..." Jason's sentence trailed off, and he raised an eyebrow at his friend's erratic behaviour. 

"Oh. Sorry."

   Kaden let go of the plate of pancakes and awkwardly returned them to their earlier position. Why was it that he kept embarrassing himself ever since they got home? Maybe Corona was to blame. 

  After enjoying their not surprisingly delicious meal, and cleaning up after themselves, everyone decided to go their separate ways. Rebecca retreated to her greenhouse to tend her plants and Jason seemed to have disappeared into thin air. 

   Left with nothing else to do, Kaden made his way to the gaming room and plopped himself onto the comfortable leather couch. His hands instinctively went towards his Playstation controller. He turned on his console and decided to play a few rounds of Mario Kart to pass the time. 

   He wasn't sure why, but Princess Peach had always been his favourite player. She didn't have any special perks, so maybe it was how cute she was and her expressions when she won and lost. But he knew that she always made the game ten times more fun to play, especially when he was playing alone, something he found himself often doing. 

He didn't mind though, playing alone. He was used to it. He was always alone, even when he wasn't. 

And he always would be.