32

"I thought this day would never come," Kaden sighed in relief as he rotated his ankle in a clockwise and then anti-clockwise movement. His mood was lifted by finally having his cast removed. 

  "Well, 'this day' was supposed to come sooner. The reason why your ankle has been so weak is not that it's still broken, it's that your muscles have atrophied. You should've gotten your cast removed a week ago," the doctor informed him with a deadpan expression. At least Kaden figured it was deadpan. It was hard to tell with the face mask that he was wearing. 

  "LOL, oh," Kaden responded, sounding out the acronym. Jason wrinkled his nose subtly.

"Well thanks anyways, doc."

  The short man nodded his head swiftly in acknowledgement, before packing all his tools into his briefcase. "I've sent your mother further instructions on how to care for your ankle for the next week or two."

  Your mother. 

 Kaden tensed slightly before he relaxed. He loved Rebecca, but something about someone referring to her as his mother put him off. Only slightly, but it still did. 

    "Stay safe, boys," the doctor said before he turned to leave. He widely side-stepped Jason, who was leaning coolly on the wall close to the door with one of his feet up. Kaden didn't know if the action was because he was intimidated by his friend or because of the pandemic.

 Both of them posed a threat to his wellbeing anyway, so it was justifiable. 

   After the doctor had left, silence settled amongst the two friends as Kaden wiggled his toes and exercised his ankle. He kept his eyes trained on his leg but observed the taller boy in his periphery.  Despite living in the same house, the two hadn't spoken to each other in about a week, since their conversation in Jason's room. 

 A minute or two of awkward silence passed before Jason pushed himself off of the wall and slipped quietly through the open door, causing a frown to make itself onto Kaden's face. 

   He was used to silence and minimal interaction between them. But this time... this time it hurt.