57

Kaden rolled his eyes when the music that was previously pounding from his AirPods was paused by an incoming call. He placed one of his dumbbells down on the bench that was near him in his home gym before he checked the caller ID on his phone. 

    It was Liam, one of the goalkeepers on his soccer team. The random call piqued his interest, as it was the first time one of his teammates had reached out to him since his injury. His first instinct was to decline out of bitterness, but curiosity won the short internal battle and he answered the call. 

   "Hello?" he spoke out loud into his earphones, slightly out of breath. 

"Aldridge, my guy!" Liam's enthusiastic voice blasted through, nearly bursting Kaden's eardrums. He swiftly lowered the volume. "What's up? I didn't catch you jacking off right? Why are you breathing like that?"

   The blond boy's eyes narrowed slightly in annoyance. "No. I'm at the gym. What do you need?"

"Listen, man. I'm sorry for not calling before. It was the season you know and Coach was riding us extra hard to make up for you being benched."

  "Yeah," Kaden replied. 

 Part of him wanted to accept the apology and let go of the small grudge he was holding against his team, but, he also knew that it wouldn't have killed any of them to shoot him a message in the few months since he's seen them last. 

  "And then there's been this whole coronavirus thing. Like bruh, can you believe it? We're literally living through a whole ass pandemic- that's fucking crazy!"

  "Uh-huh."

   "So yeah, no hard feelings right?"

  "Nope, not at all."

"Awesome. We should play COD sometime. Hit me up, man. I gotta go now though, mom's calling for dinner."

   "Alright, bye." Kaden ended the call before Liam could respond. 

 He felt a bit guilty for how he treated Liam a while ago, despite the pettiness he felt. At least he had reached out to him and apologised, which was more than what could be said for his other teammates. Besides, he's taken part in multiple soccer seasons so he knew how demanding it could get, especially in university. Maybe he was a bit too hard on Liam. 

   Kaden sighed and picked up his other dumbbell from the bench and continued his workout. He was tired of reading into this too much. 

  He just wished that he could switch off his emotions for a while, like Jason.