35

Kaden followed behind Jason at a safe enough distance. One that was far away enough that even someone as observant as his friend wouldn't be able to tell that they were being followed. Not that it was his choice anyway- his weak ankle was slowing him down.

Where Jason had to go was quite a ways from the Aldridge Manor, which caused Kaden's heart rate to quicken. The longer they walked for, the more he realised that there might be something shady laying in wait for the brunet boy.

He followed him around corners and through dark alleyways, trying his best to be careful and not to get caught. The streets were quiet, which made it harder to be discrete, and Kaden wondered about the homeless people who used to be situated along this particular street that he was walking past.

He remembered Benny, an old homeless man whose camp used to be set up on the corner they had passed two blocks away. Kaden knew these streets, he used to sneak around them much like he was doing now, and so he knew Benny. Everyone knew gentle and kind-hearted Benny with a bright smile missing three teeth and enough jokes to last the day.

Kaden would always give him a hundred dollar bill whenever he saw him- to get him through the next couple of days. Benny used to refuse such a large sum of money, but he saw how adamant Kaden was about helping him and gave in whenever the young man would say 'trust me, I definitely don't need it.'

He hoped that his old friend was safe during this pandemic; that he found a good homeless shelter to help him.

Finally, Jason came to a halt by a lonely bus stop which prompted Kaden to do the same by a corner a couple of feet away. He watched as the brunet stood calmly, one hand in the pocket of his jeans, and the other thumbing through his phone. He placed the phone to his ear, probably calling someone to come meet him.

Kaden laid in wait for not nearly a second before he heard a phone ring quite close to his person. He jumped in fright from the sudden sound and looked around him for the culprit. Jason's friend must've been near.

It was only when he felt his pocket vibrate that he realised that it was in fact his phone that was being called.

And that Jason was now standing right in front of him.