52

Roman Aldridge was a bit too enthusiastic about Alex's return compared to the way Kaden had been greeted by him two weeks ago. Almost like Alex was his biological child and he wasn't. But despite the pang of jealousy that Kaden felt as he watched his father embrace the tall brunette, he plastered a pleasant expression on his face. 

    "Dinner smells delicious honey," Kaden's father complimented his wife afterwards, kissing her on the cheek before he sat at the head of the table. Everyone had already been seated at the large, glass dining table but they were forced to wait on his arrival. 

    Rebecca wanted them to eat dinner 'as a family' again since they were all finally reunited. But with the amount of work his father was doing in his office, Kaden was starting to believe he'd starve to death before he could indulge in the shepherd's pie that was strategically placed close to his plate. 

   "Thank you, dear. I hope the taste does it justice. I've been a bit too spoilt by all the extra help around the house that I think that I might've lost my cooking talent," she laughed lightly. 

   "Nonsense," Kaden watched his father dip his fork into the meatloaf that had already been served onto his plate and eat it for emphasis, "You're still as talented as ever."

    Rebecca blushed and the blond boy sent a look over at Alex who smirked at the annoyance it conveyed. As irritating as they could be at times, Kaden had to admit that Rebecca was good for his father. It's like she transformed him into a better person when they were together- into someone who cared; someone who he could bear to be around. If he were ever around. 

    Jason's face was nonchalant at the interaction, which highly contrasted the awestruck look on Avery's face who was sandwiched between both him and her girlfriend. If he was uncomfortable due to the tension between himself and Roman, he didn't show it. Instead, he seemed to be slightly put off by Kaden due to the way he kept glancing at him every minute or so. 

  "I guess we can all start now," Rebecca spoke up to everyone at the table. And Kaden let out an exaggerated groan. 

   "Thank God!"