8

A knock on the door was the last thing Kaden expected to hear at midday. He was still in bed, but this time hunched over his college textbooks. Both his medicine and his coffee had given him the energy he hadn't felt in a while to take a long shower and begin the work that had been piling up for him.

He assumed Jason had simply forgotten his key card again, so Kaden grabbed his crutches and hobbled to the door. Instead of an intimidating young man standing in the door, there was an intimidating young lady and a much shorter, smiling girl standing somewhat behind her.

"Alex?" Kaden asked, wondering if he was really seeing his stepsister in front of him or if the drugs had made him start to hallucinate.

"Mom told me you hurt your knee. Sorry, I forgot to text, I was busy," Alex stepped past her stepbrother and into his dorm room without an invitation.

"It was my ankle," he said with a smile as he looked at Avery, his sister's girlfriend.

The shorter girl wrapped her arms around Kaden in a hug and he did the same. Avery was so loveable that no one could deny one of her hugs. Lord knows he needed one lately.

"I hope you feel better Kaden," she said softly. So did he.

"Too long," Alex said seriously, staring at the blond boy. The two were almost opposites. Alex was more like Jason; she was tall, brunette and intimidating. Kaden himself was friendly and blond. He thought he would never see the day that someone could melt Alex's heart until they all met Avery.

"Alexia, il ne se sent pas bien," Avery said, squeezing her friend even tighter. (He doesn't feel well)

Alex sighed and looked away before grumbling, "Bien." (Fine)

Kaden didn't know what they were saying, all he knew was that it resulted in Avery being able to hug him for longer and he was okay with that.