Chapter 18: Him

Elena sits up suddenly and looks around the room. She's rubbing her now sore neck when she sees Bonnie lying on the floor. "Bonnie!" She crawls over to her friend and bites into her wrist, holding it up to Bonnie's lips. Bonnie's eyelids flutter slightly before opening and Elena pulls her wrist away, the wound healing shortly after. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"Mikael was here." Bonnie pulls herself to her feet but stumbles slightly as the pounding continues in her head so she grabs onto the doorway. "He took Caroline."

"We need to get Klaus here." Bonnie stares pointedly at Elena and the brunette sighs. "Bonnie."

"I don't know if I trust him yet." Elena raises her eyebrows. "You know why Elena."

"But you told Caroline-."

"I told Caroline that I want her to be happy, I didn't say I'd forgiven Klaus." Elena's eyes follow Bonnie around the room as she grabs things to find Caroline. When Bonnie looks back at Elena she sighs. "Fine call him."

****

"The fact that you had to debate calling me is ridiculous." Klaus glares at Bonnie before storming outside with his phone in his hand, probably to call in reinforcements. Elena sighs as she pulls out her phone and dials Damon's number. She knew he was visiting Stefan in Savannah but he'd come for this, maybe he'd get Stefan to come with him. It goes to voicemail and Elena waits for the beep to give her message.

"Hey Damon, I know you're visiting your brother but Mikael took Caroline. Klaus is here and we really need you. I love you." She ends the call and slides her phone into her pocket as Klaus comes back into the house. "Who'd you call?"

"My witches, they'll be here very soon." Klaus looks past Elena at Bonnie. "Well do your witchy things and find her so they'll be prepared."

"First swear you won't betray us." Klaus sighs and crosses his arms over his chest. "Swear."

"I am not my brother." Bonnie taps her foot on the floor and Klaus rolls his eyes. "Fine, I swear."

"Okay." Bonnie walks over to the table, opens her grimoire, and takes Caroline's brush before chanting. Air wooshes around and blood runs out of Bonnie's nose. The air stills when she stops chanting. "She's at the high school." Klaus starts for the door. "But I wouldn't go alone." Klaus turns back towards Bonnie, his look inviting her to continue. "He has protection even you can't get past."

"You have no idea how I feel about this." Klaus looks angry but Bonnie can see the sadness in his eyes.

"You don't deserve Caroline." Bonnie looks down at her grimoire and sighs. "Any part of her, even her kindness."

"Don't you think I know that?" Klaus takes a deep breath as Bonnie looks up. "I don't know why she's kind to me."

"It's because, even though she won't admit it, she's falling in love with you." Klaus' eyes widen slightly and he falters as he takes a step backward. "And she sees the good in you."

"That's not true I-." Klaus is interrupted by the door opening as his witches arrive and file into the room. He covers his surprise with a look of determination. "Time to get to work."

****

The vervain-soaked ropes painfully bite into Caroline's skin and she inwardly winces, having gotten somewhat used to the pain. Mikael had dragged her into the room, tied her up, and left her hanging from the ceiling by her wrists. He was gonna pay for this. He was after all only keeping her hostage because of Klaus. Caroline hears shuffling from outside the door and her head swivels towards it as the vampire hunter shoves through it with witches following behind him. Caroline scoffs and Mikael turns towards her quickly. "You really need that many witches to protect yourself from your son?"

"That beast." Mikael grips Caroline's chin tightly and makes her look at him. "Is not my son."

"I hope he kills you." Caroline spits in Mikael's face and laughs as he wipes it off with his shirt sleeve.

"No this time, this time I'll be killing that abomination." Caroline's face scrunches up in anger. "Did I hit a nerve?"

"You can believe what you want about Klaus but that won't change anything." Mikael scoffs and tugs the ropes holding Caroline's wrists together making her wince. The vervain burns his hand but it doesn't seem to bother him, he laughs at her pain.

"I won't even have to kill him, losing you will be enough to make him want to die." Caroline's eyes widen and she looks at the ground as Mikael walks over to the witches. "Prepare for his arrival." The witches all agree and Mikael walks over to the window, looking out at the school parking lot. "Tomorrow, I will finally rid myself of the abomination I once called son."