Chapter 16: Rekindling

"How has it been so many years and yet we still managed to find one another?" Elena shifts her weight to her other leg as Elijah stares at her. "Can it be fate?" He takes a step forward making Elena take a step back and Elijah smiles at her slight hesitation. "You're nervous."

"All the memories falling into my mind when I'm trying to get more
over Damon." Elijah breathes heavily out of his nose at the mention of the Salvatore. "I still love him, Elijah."

"I don't doubt that you do."  He then continues walking towards her and her back hits the wall behind her. Elijah's hand comes up and caresses her cheek, Elena slightly shivering as she closes her eyes. "But we were more than you and Damon are. We were made for each other." He leans in as if he's going to kiss her but Elena pushes him away as her eyes shoot open.

"Elijah I- I can't do this right now." She pushes past and exits the room, her breathing not steadying as she gets into her car. She presses the palms of her hands onto her eyelids and takes a shaky breath. "I never should have come."

****

"Just put it right there." Esther gestures to the decorators as they bring in a cake. She turns as she senses her daughter behind her. "Rebekah."

"Mother, what's all this for?" Rebekah tilts her head at all the decorations.

"It's to celebrate Caroline's return. She has brought my son back from whatever world he disappeared into when she was gone and I'm grateful for her." She smiles at the room around her. "And I'm grateful for my children being alive."

"Okay, I have to take Caroline and Elena to get dresses." She smiles and then kisses her mother on the cheek before hurrying away. Esther smiles as she watches her daughter leave the room.

"I wish you well, my dear Rebekah." She walks into a room, locking the door behind her, and all you hear is a thud and then silence.

*filler chapter*