Chapter 20: Illusions & Memories

Caroline barely makes it through the front door before she's bombarded with hugs from her friends. "Hey, guys."

"Oh my gosh Care, we were about to come rescue you." Elena and Bonnie look at Alina standing next to her. "Who's this?"

"This is Alina." Everyone else introduces themselves to her. "She helped me get out."

"Caroline." Caroline's eyes meet Klaus' from the top of the stairs. She doesn't get a word in before he speeds over to her and wraps his arms around her. Caroline smiles before setting her head on his shoulder and returns the hug. When he backs away from her she can see the relief in his eyes. "How did you get away?"

"Alina helped me." Caroline nudges her head in the witch's direction before her face turns serious. "Klaus we have to save her family. Mikael is threatening them."

"You." One of Klaus's still sired hybrids walks over. "Take this witch and help find her family."

"Thank you." Caroline looks around as she finally notices that everyone has left. "I should get some rest."

"Wait." Caroline stops walking and turns back to Klaus. "You're sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, Alina healed any wounds that took a little longer." Caroline purses her lips as she recognizes that small amount of fear still in his eyes. "Were you worried about me?"

"No, I just knew your friends were worried about you." Klaus looks down at the ground.

"Klaus." He looks back up at her and sighs.

"I won't admit anything to you because it would change my life forever."

"Of course it would change your life forever. It's admitting that you fell in love with someone." Caroline takes his hand and squeezes it. "It's a really big step that someone with commitment issues can take."

"Caroline-"

"No, don't even say it's not true. I know how your father treated you, how he treated your mother after he found out." A tear slips out of Caroline's eye and she wipes it away. "You're not what he calls you, you deserve to love someone."

"But I am what he calls me, an abomination." Klaus looks down at their hands and lets go of Carolines. "I don't deserve you."

"Klaus." Klaus shakes his head as he slowly backs away from her. "Don't go."

"I have to- to go. Excuse me." Before Caroline can get out another word Klaus is gone and she's left alone.

****

"No, Klaus." Alina holds both of her fingers to Caroline's head as she keeps the illusion going. Mikael smirks as he watches Caroline's face scrunch up in pain.

"Okay, that's enough." Alina takes her fingers off of Caroline's head and the vampire's head falls to the side. "You two." Mikael signals to two vampires standing in the corner of the room. "Take her to the basement."

"Yes sir." The vampires pick up Caroline's limp body and drag her out of the room.

"What are you going to do with her?" Mikael turns to see Alina picking nervously at her fingernails. "I mean, Mikael sir, she's done nothing to you."

"She loves that abomination of a hybrid, that's enough." Alina has a sympathetic look on her face as Mikael turns to look out the window. "He'll be here soon. Make sure the barrier won't fall."

"Yes sir." Mikael leaves the room and Alina goes to the window as she works on the barrier.

****

"Klaus, what are you doing here?" Caroline can tell he's smirking even though he's facing away from her.

"Not happy to see me?" Caroline scoffs as she starts walking towards him and he turns around, the smirk still playing on his lips. "Come on love, I don't hate you or your friends anymore. Ancient history."

"Yeah well, Kol and Rebekah haven't been very hospitable." Caroline walks past Klaus to stand in front of the window, looking out at the snow-covered yards. "Why are you here?"

"Would you believe me if I said I was here only to see you?" Caroline has a small smile on her face at his reply but it disappears when she turns to him.

"Little old me?" Klaus rolls his eyes at her comment. "Klaus you're not only here for me."

"You told me to be honest with you the last time I was in Mystic Falls-"

"The last time you were in Mystic Falls you said you were never coming back." Klaus is silent as he looks down at his hands. "You promised me."

"I- I couldn't help myself, I had to see you again." Klaus looks back up at her and takes a small step forward. "Even if just once."

"Klaus." Soon enough he's directly in front of her and Caroline takes a sharp breath as he leans in, pressing his lips to hers. His fingers tangle in her hair as she returns the kiss. Too quickly she's pulling away, pressing a hand to Klaus' chest. "We shouldn't do this."

"Why not?" He's still close enough that she can smell his natural scent and it's intoxicating. Caroline wants to take a step back but her feet won't let her. "Caroline I-"

Klaus' eyes fly open as someone shakes him awake, the memory still clinging to his mind. "Klaus wake up." He sits up as Bonnie backs away from the bed and he glares at her slightly.

"What do you want witch?" Klaus stands and grabs a shirt as she starts speaking.

"Qetsiyah is here and she wants to meet you." Klaus slides the shirt over his head and then turns to Bonnie.

"Very well." Klaus follows Bonnie out of the room but stops in the doorway remembering the memory.

"Hey." Bonnie touches his arm pulling Klaus from his daze. "You coming?"

Yeah." Bonnie starts walking and he shuts the door to his room.