Chapter 2: Arriving at the Castle

"We're here." Someone lightly shakes Carolines' shoulder to wake her. Caroline slowly peels her eyes open to reveal Bonnie. "Don't arrive at the gates yet guard." She taps on the roof and the carriage comes to a stop.

"Need anything?" Bonnie shakes her head with a laugh.

"Just need to fix the ladies hair is all." The guard nods and leaves with a smile on his face. Bonnie quickly brushes and fixes up Caroline's hair before tapping on the roof of the carriage.

"All done?" The guards' voice can be heard from above. Bonnie leans her head out the window to speak to the guard.

"Yes. Get a move on. Wouldn't want to make a bad impression on the Mikaelsons." The carriage starts slowly moving and soon it arrives at the Mikaelson castle. "Are you ready for this?"

"I was only just invited to this world a few days. I don't even know what to do." Bonnie takes her hand in her own.

"Only the royals know about the way you grew up. So if you need any help just ask. Do you know how to curtsy?" Caroline quickly nods and Bonnie sighs in relief. "That's all you need to know for now. Ready?"

"Yes." Bonnie pushes open the carriage and Caroline steps out, taking the guard's hand for support.

"Her highness Princess Caroline and lady in waiting Bonnie Bennett." Their names are called as soon as they step inside the throne room.

"We've been waiting for days, my dear." The queen is radiant with beauty and Caroline can see she is with child. "Whatever took you so long to arrive?"

"Um- we-." Caroline is certainly finding it hard to speak to the queen so she curtsies instead.

"It's alright. Speak up, child."

"The guard said it would take 5 days." The king laughs next to her and places a hand on his wives.

"It should have only taken 2 but I think he took 5 to calm your nerves. I see it hasn't done any good." She stands up from her throne and approaches Caroline. "Just be yourself." She then signals a guard over. "Send my children in."

"Yes ma'am." He leaves the room and the queen turns back to Caroline.

"I hope you feel very welcome here." As soon as the words leave her lips 5 people enter the room. "The princess has arrived. This is Caroline."

"Finn." The man takes a bow and Caroline tries not to blush.

"Elijah."

"Niklaus." Caroline takes him in. The dirty blonde curls and blue-green eyes. Victoria was correct as he was devilishly handsome.

"Rebekah." The girl curtsies and smiles at Caroline. "I hope we can be good friends."

"And this is my youngest son Kol." The queen nods her head to him in which he winks flirtatiously. "You may call me Esther and my husband Mikael. I'm sure Niklaus can show you to your room."

"Yes, mother." He looks bored and the look he gives makes her want to get a move on. She takes his outstretched arm and they start heading to her room. "Don't expect this to be a perfect marriage."

"Why do I have the feeling you're not so keen on marrying me?"

"I do not wish to marry but mother insists." They turn a corner and Caroline stops herself from asking her question.

"Well, I only just found out I was a princess before being whisked off to marry you on the same day." She doesn't notice the curious and baffled look he gives her.

"Really? I thought they would have given you training months before they sent you here."

"No. They just brought me into the castle, cleaned me up, and sent me off." They reach a door and Niklaus stops walking and presses a kiss to her hand.

"This is your stop." He gives her a small wave before walking away. She enters her room and walks over to the window.

"Has everything gone smoothly?" Caroline jumps suddenly at the voice and turns to see Bonnie. "Sorry if I startled you. My room is right next door."

"Everything has been fine." Bonnie smiles in response and bids farewell. Caroline can't help but admire the room. It was luxurious and she had never dealt with luxurious.

"Miss?" A knock sounds at the door and Caroline opens the door.

"Yes?" A butler walks in and bows quickly.

"Their majesties as you know are having your welcoming ball tonight. Prince Niklaus has sent a dress in hopes you will wear it." Two maids walk in holding a marvelous deep blue gown.

"Thank you." She runs her hand over the fabric. "You may go now."

"I presume you need help untying your corset." Caroline nods at Bonnie and lets her do her work. "There you go. If I were you, I'd wear the dress."

"He thinks I'm horrid. Why would he send me a dress?"

"Never refuse a dress from a Mikaelson." Bonnie doesn't even give her a chance to reply because she leaves the room. Caroline wishes she could wear any other dress but it seems she does not have her own ball gowns so she slips the dress on and awaits Prince Niklaus as he is to escort her.

"Would you like us to do your hair miss?" A maid pops her head in and Caroline nods. She pins her hair up and lets a few curls frame her face. "See any jewelry you like?"

"I don't really know what would go with the dress." The maid nods knowingly and pulls a necklace as well as a pair of earrings.

"These would go well with it as well as these nice gloves." Caroline slides the gloves on as the maid clips the necklace on and another puts the earrings on. "Prince Niklaus wanted to give this bracelet as a welcome gift."

"I'll tell him thank you when I see him."

"There you go, dear. You look beautiful." Caroline smiles at her reflection not quite believing the woman's compliment as a knock sounds at the door. "That must be your fiance." Caroline walks over to the door and opens it slowly.

"You look.. beautiful." Caroline blushes at his compliment as she takes his arm.

"Thank you." The walk to the ballroom is silent though looks are exchanged.

"Their highnesses Prince Niklaus and his fiance Princess Caroline." The door opens into a luxurious ballroom and everyone is staring at Caroline.

"Just be yourself, love." His voice tickles her ear and she lets out a breath she didn't know she was holding. They descend the stairs and are greeted by Esther and Mikael.

"What a beautiful dress dear."

"Thank you." Some music starts up and Niklaus excuses them before pulling her into a dance.

"If you need any help with how to do anything just come to me." Caroline nods her head as a smile crosses over his face. "Are you alright?"

"It's just- this is all so new to me." He nods in understanding.

"Well, now you have someone to help you through." She smiles then and he has to admit that it is one of the best things he's seen in 800 years. "Also I would like you to call me Klaus."

"I um- I need some air." She abruptly turns around and hurries out of the ballroom. When she reaches the outside she leans her hands on the railing and lets out a breath of air. "God, what is happening to me?"

"Caroline are you alright?" Oh god, why did he follow me? She quickly collects herself and turns around with a beaming smile on her face.

"I'm fine." She goes to walk past him but he gently grabs her arm causing sparks to shoot up.

"Tell me. Please." The look he's giving her almost makes her give in. Almost.

"I- I can't. I'm sorry." She shakes off his grip and hurries up to her room. Once she reaches it she quietly shuts the door and slumps against it. "What is happening?"