Chapter 14: The Plan

"So Mikael has turned on you. Do you any idea where he is now?" Esther shakes her head and Caroline sighs as she takes a sip of her blood. "This is not good." The door suddenly opens and all heads turn.

"Well isn't this splendid? Caroline comes back and only Nik gets to know." Caroline smiles at Kol's comment and stands to embrace him. "Welcome back, sister."

"It feels amazing to be back." She takes her seat next to Klaus. "Though we have a large problem on our hands."

"Yes, I know about my father." He takes the cup of blood the maid offers him and takes a sip. "I'm not very worried about him. He doesn't seem to be causing any trouble at the moment."

"I'm sure once he hears that Caroline's back, he'll come out of hiding." Klaus stands up and straightens his shirt. "But for now love, I'd love to spend some time with you."

"What do you have in mind?" She takes his outstretched hand and lets him lead her outside.

"A walk in the gardens." Caroline slips her hand through the crook of Klaus' elbow as they walk. She leans her head on his shoulder and sighs. "Something on your mind love?"

"I was thinking about my mom." Klaus stops walking and Caroline lifts her head off of his shoulder. "I mean, it's been ages since she died and I never got to say goodbye."

"Would you like to see her last day?" Caroline nods and Klaus leans forward and presses his lips to hers.

****

"Good morning sweetheart." The king kisses the queen on her cheek as she walks by to sit at his right. Her skin was wrinkled and her hair had turned gray but she was still beautiful. Her father had grown older, his hair graying and his beard longer. They both said their morning prayers before eating.

****

Both the king and queen were enjoying a stroll in the garden when the queen suddenly collapsed on the ground. "Send for the doctor!"

****

"I'm sorry your majesty but her pulse is weakening." The doctor stands and walks to the king. "I fear she has no more than a couple of minutes to live."

"Thank you." The king takes a bag of gold out and sets it in the doctor's hand. "Pension for your troubles."

"Thank you. I wish you well my king." The doctor leaves and the king walks over and sits in the chair next to the bed.

"My queen." He takes her hand and kisses it. "It's alright. If it's your time, you may go. Just know that I love you." She exhales one last time before her chest stops rising and falling. A tear slips down the king's face and he lays his head down as the sobs wrack his entire body.

****

Klaus pulls away as tears slide down Caroline's face and he pulls her into a hug. "I'm fine, I'm fine. I'm just glad her death was peaceful."

"I know." He leans back to look into her eyes and wipes away the tears with the pad of his thumb. "These years without you have been quite excruciating. I don't know what I'd do without you again."

"I'm not leaving again Nik. I won't let him separate us." Caroline reached up and cupped his face, running her thumb across his scruff. "I won't."

"Caroline?" Caroline quickly turns to find herself face to face with youngest Mikaelson.

"Rebekah. When did you get back?" Caroline quickly embraces the other blonde.

"Just now." Rebekah pulls away and smiles. "Mother just gave me the news."

"Well-." Caroline stops talking when someone approaches them. "Yes, Kol?"

"Mother would like to see all of us. Now." The younger male Mikaelson then turns and goes inside as the rest silently follow. All take a seat at the table when inside.

"Now that I have all of your attention." Esther takes the arm of a younger girl and tugs her forward. "Mikael has been spotted. I have recruited the help of this young witch, as well as others."

"What's the plan then mother?" Kol takes a step forward and braces his hands on the back of a chair, Esther then explains the plan to everyone. "Alright let's go then."