Chapter 3: Feelings She Can't Control

Carolines dress👆

Caroline was avoiding Klaus. That much was true. She didn't know why she was avoiding him. Maybe it was because of that feeling she got when his hand grazed hers or when they were dancing and his hand was on her waist. She was wandering the castle halls when she bumped into him.

"Caroline." He grabs her upper arms to steady her. "You're avoiding me."

"What gave you that idea?" She starts walking in the opposite direction.

"Every time I come into the room you find some excuse to leave." He gently grabs her arm and turns her towards him. "Did I do something wrong?"

"You didn't do anything wrong." She looks down at her hands and fiddles with her fingers.

"Then why won't you talk to me?" She looks up and practically falls apart when she sees his face. He looks so hurt.

"You would laugh at me."

"You don't know that." She sighs in response and then nods in the direction of her bedroom, he follows. "Why did we come here?"

"My room is spelled." She quickly shuts the door behind him and tentatively sits down on her bed. "Yes, I know about witches and vampires and all that. I know that you're a vampire."

"And you're okay with that?" She nods and he sighs in relief. "So why were you avoiding me?"

"It's hard for me to talk about this." He takes a seat next to her and her face instantly heats up. "I'm really going to tell you this aren't I?"

"I hope you will at least." He takes her hand in his and her breath suddenly catches so he drops it. "What's wrong?"

"I- I.' Suddenly her lips are on his and it catches Klaus by surprise but he kisses her back.  When the kiss breaks she is absolutely breathless.

"Is that what you wanted to tell me?" She takes a deep breath before nodding.

"These- these feelings came onto me all of a sudden. I didn't know what to do so instead I ran outside." He takes in her face. Beautiful ocean blue eyes and light red cheeks. He's pretty sure she's blushing.

"Maybe this will be a happy marriage after all." Her cheeks deepen in color. "Would you like to accompany me for a picnic tomorrow?"

"I would like that." She smiles as butterflies flutter in her stomach. "But I must get to bed. It's very late."

"Yes. Well, I'll see you tomorrow." He exits her room and she lets a smile cross her face as she changes from her dress to a nightgown and gets into bed. She touches a finger to her lips as she remembers the kiss shared between them before she falls into a deep sleep.

_________

Dress the next day

Dress the next day

"I hear princess Elena is arriving today." Bonnie and Caroline enjoy tea with the Mikaelsons.

"Yes. She is to be married to Elijah." Caroline grins at Klaus from across the room. "I hope you two can be friends Caroline." 

"Well I was hoping as soon as she arrived Rebekah and I could take her out to get a dress from the seamstress." Esther smiles in agreement. "I was also hoping Klaus would come with us."

"Oh, wouldn't that be nice." Klaus' face says otherwise but he nods his head. "Well, that settles it. I'll inform you when Elena arrives."

"Shall we head out on our picnic then love?" Klaus stands up and extends his hand to Caroline.

"Oh?" Esther seems surprised that her son is interacting with his fiance. "When did you plan this?"

"Yesterday." The look Klaus gives her sends butterflies fluttering through her stomach. "Shall we go love?"

"Yes." They exit the room and head to a waiting carriage.

_______

"How do you like the food?" Caroline takes another bite of the pasta and moans at the deliciousness.

"It's amazing. Why do you ask?" He chuckles at her response.

"I made it myself." Her eyes widen in surprise.

"Really?" He nods and she takes another bite. They were still on the castle grounds. "I'm glad I met you."

"Me too." She smiles and his heart flutters. He hasn't felt this way in 800 years. "Shall we go for a walk?"

"Alright." He signaled for a guard to take the blanket and picnic basket. He held out his arm to her. "Ready milady?"

________

"Kol was quite embarrassed after finding out the woman he slept with was a man." Caroline giggles as Klaus and her step back into the castle.

"Your highnesses." A maid curtsies in front of them quickly. "Princess Elena has arrived."

Thank you." The maid nods and curtsies before exiting. "I enjoyed today. Just the two of us."

"I as well. Perhaps we can go to the theatre tomorrow." She nods and a smile crosses his face. "Well, we must go greet the new princess."

_______

"Welcome, Elena." Elena smiles and curtsies quickly.

"Am I to meet my fiance later then?" Esther nods.

"Rebekah and I would actually like to know if you would accompany us to get our dresses from the seamstress for your welcoming ball." Elena agrees and the four head out to the carriage.

"Oh I didn't Prince Niklaus was coming."

"I asked him to come." Klaus takes Carolines' hand and she blushes.

"You two are so sweet." Elena smiles at the pair. "I hope Elijah and I can be the same."

__________

"And this is your dress, your highness." The seamstress hands Klaus Carolines dress. It was a light gold off-the-shoulder floor-length gown.

"Thank you." They load the dresses into the back of the carriage and head back to the castle.

"Well, I guess we must go and get ready." A maid takes each girl's gown and carries it up to their room.