Chapter 7: New

"I'm still getting used to this." Caroline edges her fingers into the sunlight and watches them burn, pulling them away quickly in fear of losing them. "How can you walk in the sun?"

"It's this little trick, daylight ring." He holds it out to her and she studies it. "We can get you one as soon as Ms. Bennett cooperates."

"Let me talk to her." He nods as he turns to the window, his back to her. "Hey. What's the matter?"

"Nothing I-." He braces his hands on the wall next to the window.

"I know." She wraps her arms around his waist from behind and presses a kiss to his shirt-covered back. "I can protect myself better Klaus."

"I know that it's just-." He turns around in her arms and cups her face with his hands. "I'll always be afraid of losing you."

She nibbles on her lip for a second before a smile breaks out on her face. "I love you too." Caroline reaches her face up and presses her lips to his to which he immediately responds, kissing her back with as much ferocity.

"Am I interrupting something?" Hearing the voice makes them pull apart, faces whipping to the doorway to see who had interrupted them. "By all means, carry on."

"What is it Bekah?" Klaus wraps his arms tighter around the girl in front of him, Caroline hiding her face in his shirt as a blush creeps onto her face. "Well?"

"Mother and father would like to see us. All of us." She shuts the door behind her as she leaves and Klaus turns to the blonde in his arms.

"Get dressed and I'll meet you outside the door." She nods and disentangles herself from him and he leaves the room. Caroline undresses and slips a dress over her head, a maid tying the strings on her corset.

"Thank you." She slides the brush through her tangled curls and smooths out her dress, meeting Klaus outside. "Let's go."

****

"These creatures injured Niklaus gravely and it took him days to heal. I- we want you to be careful." Esther takes Mikaels' hand and smiles at her children. "If any of you were to die, it would risk the entire kingdom."

"We understand mother." The queen dismisses them and they all go to the sitting room. "That thing that attacked you Nik-."

"We still have no idea what it is Bekah." She nods and looks down at her hands as a maid walks in with a tea cart. "Are you okay love?"

"Yeah." She takes a seat next to him and lays her head on his shoulder. "I'm just a little overwhelmed."

"It's okay." He puts his arm around her shoulder. "I'll take you to your room."

"Okay." She bids farewell to everyone and they head to her room. "Your mother talked to me yesterday. After everything had settled down."

"Oh?" She nods as she opens the door to her room and they both go inside.

"Our wedding is to happen in 7 days." Caroline puts the covers back and sits down, taking off her shoes. "This is real. We're actually going to get married, Klaus."

"Mhm." She looks up and notices that he had stilled by the doorway.

"Klaus?" His eyes meet hers. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, nothing." He waves his hand in dismissal and turns to leave but she speeds in front of him. "Caroline I'm fine."

"No, you're not. Something's bothering you." She cups his cheeks with her hands and rests her forehead against his. "Tell me."

"I'll be a terrible husband. What if I lose my temper one day and I hit you?" He tucks a strand of hair behind Caroline's ear and lets his hand rest on her cheek, hers coming down to lay on his shoulders. "I couldn't live with myself knowing that I hurt you."

"I will always love you, Klaus." She presses her lips to his, savoring in the moment before resting her forehead against his again. "No matter what happens, I'm never leaving you. Ever."

****

"Are you ever going to forgive her?" Kol trails his fingers down Bonnie's bare back and she sits up some to lean on her elbows, looking into the Mikaelson's deep brown eyes.

"I don't know." She pushes up off of his chest and gets off of the bed, taking the sheet with her. "She became the one thing I hate most in the world."

"You learned to love me, she's your best friend. You can't hate her forever." Kol gets up off of the bed, completely bare, and places his hands on the witch's upper arms, leaving a few sloppy kisses on her shoulder.

"See that's the thing." Bonnie turns around, placing one hand on his chest. "She's going to live forever. I'm not."

"Witches have spells to live longer." Bonnie backs away, slipping her undergarments and dress back on. "She's still the same Caroline you knew."

"I'm going to head back to my room." She opens the door but doesn't leave, turning back to look at Kol. "I'll forgive her. In time."

****

"I'm so sorry." Caroline lets her hand slide over the smooth white fur. "Poor innocent bunny." She sinks her fangs into the creature's neck and drinks until it stills. "I did it."

"Ready to head back to the castle then?" She looks up at Klaus and smiles.

"Could we have some sort of private vacation until the wedding?" She slowly walks towards him and sets a hand on his cheek. "A secret getaway. Only your family and a few guards would know."

"Of course we can my love." She smiles and presses their lips briefly together. "Shall we go make preparations?"

"We shall." She puts her arm through the crook of his elbow and they head to the castle.

****

"We'd like to take a private vacation until the wedding." Esther sips on her tea and then looks up at the pair. "Caroline is overwhelmed with everything going on and needs some time away."

"I understand." She stands up, flattening the creases in her dress. "I'll prepare a carriage in the morning."

"Actually we'd like to leave tonight. When fewer people are roaming the castle." Esther nods and leaves to go prepare a carriage. "This is such a relief."

"Of course." Klaus pecks Caroline on the lips. "Now, go pack your things and we'll leave after dinner."

****

"Well, I'm quite stuffed." Caroline pushes her chair back and stands up. "I should get ready to leave."

"Leave?" Most at the table look confused.

"Yes. Klaus and I have decided to go away for a few days because of everything that has been going on." Everyone nods in understanding. "To uh.. relieve some of the stress."

"I'll come with you love." Klaus takes her arm and they exit the dining room. "I'm already quite ready to go." She giggles when he gives her a devilish smirk.

"All your things are packed and ready miss." The maid bows as a few guards carry Carolines things down the hall and out of sight.

"Ready?" Caroline nods and places her hand on Klaus's arm. "Let's go."