Chapter 11: Talk

"Hey, blondie." Damon rubs the top of Caroline's head as he walks by and she swats his hand away. "What no hug?"

"I'm mad at you." Damon pours himself a glass of alcohol and takes a sip. "Elena is my best friend. How could you cheat on her?"

"I fell out of love Caroline. I didn't want to break her heart by breaking up with her." He downs the rest of his drink and sets the cup on the corner bar.

"Well, you accomplished breaking her heart anyway." Caroline checks the time on her phone and stands up. "I'm going to meet her, you need to behave and not kill anyone."

"Why does everyone just assume that's what I'm going to do?" He throws his hands up into the air and Caroline sighs.

"Whatever. I'll be back to see Stefan about something." She exits the Salvatore home and gets into her car.

****

"Just put your blood into this bowl." Both Klaus and Caroline bite into their wrists and let the blood flow into the bowl. "Okay step back and let me work."

"Okay." Caroline walks over to Elena and strikes up a conversation, Klaus watching her closely.

"Someone's watching you. Go talk to him." Caroline turns to look at Klaus and sighs. "I know what he's done Care and all that matters is that you're happy. What happened in the past stays in the past."

"Okay." Caroline turns around, taking one step after the other. "Here I go." She quickly turns around and faces her best friend again. "I can't do it."

"Yes, you can." Elena quickly turns Caroline around again and shoves her towards Klaus, using her vampire strength.

"You little- Hi." Caroline smiles as she comes to face Klaus."Um.. Elena made me come over here."

"How are you love?" The gentle tone in his voice surprises her. "I mean after everything that's happened."

"I'm great, just a little overwhelmed."

"Just a little?" Caroline blushes as she looks down at her hands and then fingers grip her chin, tugging her face up to his. "Really. How are you feeling?"

"Excited, scared, maybe a little nervous." Caroline's heart flutters a little in her chest when Klaus's finger grazes her cheek. "I've always hated the idea that someone else has the power to take my memories away."

"I guess that rules me out." His hand falls away and he backs away.

"Hey. I didn't mean it like that." She finally gets the courage to take her finger and lifts his chin so his eyes meet hers. "I just- I'm so afraid that someone is going to get so angry, that one day they're going to erase every single one of my memories and not want to give them back."

"I would never do that to you." She smiles just as they both start to feel a pain in their heads. "Ahh. Witch, what is this?"

"Bonnie." Caroline claws at her head as the pain intensifies and they both fall to the ground, almost screaming in pain. "Elena."